Singapore Airport

Hamokhamok

Anyone here with any experience of Singapore Airport with particular reference to transferring flights where the baggage isn't booked through.

I'm flying out of Bangkok next Sunday for Darwin.

I'm flying with JetStar (Singapore based flight initials 3K) and they say they don't book baggage through. I pick up another Jetstar (Melbourne based flight initials JQ) flight in Singapore.

Would I be right in assuming that I'm going to have to collect my bags and go through customs and immigration to get to Departures to book in for my second flight.

Anyone with experience of how long this is likely to take from your experience.

Thanks.

Wow, the things folks will do or put up with to save a buck. :dunno::confused:

Anyway, over 15+ years, I have *never* waited more than 30 minutes (usually 10 is more like it) to clear immigration at Changi. Add another 60 min (to be safe, likely only 30 or so) to grab your bags and check them in at the counter upstairs. Then 10 min max at immigration going out.

OK, that said, this is assuming that you are at arriving/departing from T1, T2 or T3. If at the budget terminal, then I have no clue, never been, never plan to. But it is Singapore, and they are brutally efficient, and language is not an issue, so I am sure that one is fine too.

So I'd say a three hour layover is plenty, with lots of cushion time.

Let me say thanks for that information.

I assume you are referring to the airlines I'm flying with ??

I searched the net and could only find Jetstar being the one to fly direct to Darwin from Singapore.

I think I could have flown to Perth and back to Darwin but I was looking for the fastest route.

It appears they are two different companies so I suppose they are only interested in their own passengers.

The layover time is supposed to be arriving at 16:45 and departing at 20:25 both into and out of Terminal 1.

I do believe the Jetstar from Bangkok to Singapore is known to be late and indeed the same flight last Sunday was cancelled. All I can hope for is that it flys next Sunday. If it doesn't things could get a little hairy because I need to be in Darwin before 8am on Wednesday.

Have to agree with LK, I've have been in the "budget" hall once, oddly Air Asia aren't seen as budget! Was on a Tiger flight, same effeminacy, lots of cute women, OOPS, I meant efficiency, went very quick.

Funny story, years back, Wife and I and the kangaroo went to my mums 80th birthday bash in Bali.

Wife was 8+ months pregnant coming back with Devil Spawn.

We had a letter from the doctor saying she was healthy,can fly, so went to Bali, stayed 10 days, came back and had to do that baggage thing, LEAVE the terminal, get bags, re-enter, re check in in KL to transfer from Bali to Bangkok flight.

"OOPS, Doctor letter only valid for 1 week, you travel 10 days, get a new letter," says the check in man.

Yeah right - in KL????

So wife says to handsome young check in man,

"No ploblem, I stay with you, next few weeks I have baby, we go hospital, no ploblem, I not say you daddy, you just take me there"

Young man nearly dies, the fear in his eyes,

Darlek and I boarded plane to Bangkok soon after.

It appears they are two different companies so I suppose they are only interested in their own passengers.

Weird. Can't say I've ever heard of such a thing (about the baggage) but the airline industry is so wacked, I guess anything can happen.

Amazing that no one flies direct to Darwin.

Well, anyway, good luck. Your layover time should be plenty sufficient if the flight goes.

I'm also surprised there's no direct service. Looks like QF dropped the route and gave it to Jetstar.

According to the Changi website , Jetstar is located in terminal 1. Interesting, though, they say bags should be claimed at the SATS lost and found counter rather than the baggage carousels. :dunno:

I AM ARRIVING ON A BUDGET AIRLINE FLIGHT AND DEPARTING ON ANOTHER BUDGET AIRLINE FLIGHT. CAN I GET BACK INTO TRANSIT AND USE THE TRANSIT HOTEL AFTER CLEARING CUSTOMS & IMMIGRATION?

... However, you must still have the valid travel documents to clear Customs and Immigration to [color:red]collect your check-in baggage from the respective airline handling agents' Lost & Found counter at the centre of the Arrival Baggage Claim Hall. It is advisable to do so at least 2 hours before you check-in for your connecting budget airline at the Departure Hall[/color] (JetstarAsia, Valuair or Thai Air Asia) or the Budget Terminal (Tiger Airways). If you are connecting to a Tiger Airways, Cebu Pacific Air or Firefly flight, you can catch the free shuttle service from Terminal 2 Basement to the Budget Terminal.

I'm wondering is the reason for the Lost & Found because you didn't clear customs and immigration and didn't therefore collect your luggage so it ends up in the lost and found anyway.

I don't know why they say to go to lost and found, but since lost & found is in the arrival hall, you'll definitely have to clear customs with your bags.

LizardKing....the budget terminal in Singapore is great! It is very small, so the departure and arrival times are pretty quick. I wouldn't think of getting there much more than 1 hour before the flight - otherwise you are wasting time! Customs coming in is pretty good (max wait there in the past 4 trips is 20 min), my bags are usually going around the carousel when I exit immigration, right to the ATM machine and into a waiting taxi. Alot faster than the larger airports in the region including the main airport, KL or BKK...

Archived