Stickman Weekly

hall

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading his column in recent months, the angst has been palpable. Full of "am I really doing the right thing?", "am I wasting my life", "it may look like fun, but it's really spoiling my life and the life of the girls"..

I reckon he's getting depressed. Personally, I thought all the angst was misconceived. It's all a part of getting older and would have happened anyway.

Ok,

I'm going to be controversial here, but after 8 pints at 10:45 (ok, but I'm working in the morning), I'm pissed and I don't care - I have to say I used to read Stickman, but now I think he's got little left to say.

Brutally honest bit:-

Stickman is becoming the new Trink. Compare the columns.

1) Starts off with a look into the current 'Stickman psyche' (Trink used to do this but gave up)

2) Loads of Readers emails (Fairly recent Trink innovation - about 1 year?) Nothing more than a space filler

3) A photo guess the place filler - hohum

4) Somewhere in between - a comparison of how things were better/more innocent/different than now.

5) Events - Well Stickman doesn't do these really, but when Trink does, he usually gets them wrong. :-)

6) Insights into the English Teaching enclave ----------- (uh yeeeeessss, no thanks)

Appolgetic bit:-

Now I'm not criticising Stickman for any of this. He writes it as an unpaid columnist as to how he sees things from his point of view- and for the record, I agree with him on most of the issues he raises.

Now, ------------ oh shit, I'll finish this later. I've got two girls knocking on the appartment door.

Later

Yehtmae

Disclaimer: Alcohol may have paid a small part of the opinions expressed by this contributor :-)

P.S. On CNN, it says that a plane has just hit a skyscraper in Milan. :-(

Yehtmae

Interesting psychological profile of Mr Stickman.

Not had time yet to read all his page but I would assess that he has spent many hours preparing it.

It is for free after all !

What nationality is he? Mid thirties or older ?

Probably an Aussie or something like that.

Definitely not American

Yehtmae,

You stand to recieve a lot of stick (no pun intended) for this post, but I for one value your honesty. Knowing Stickman as well as I do, he will too.

I'm not the greatest fan of the Stickman Weekly simply because I rarely go out to these bars that he writes about and have little or no interest in it. Whether the Crown group charge 100 baht or 500 baht for a beer matters little to me.

I always think that the SW caters mostly for the bangkok-loving farang who isn't actually here in Thailand, and is desperate for a 'fix' - any shred of info or gossip on all those places that he frequents when he's in town because it brings back such wonderful memories. Or I could be wrong.

A while back, I started writing 'The Teacher's monthly' thinking I could fill a lengthy column month in and month out with witty anecdotes and the latest news from the world of teaching in bangkok. I was quite wrong. After five months, I'd said all I had to say, and I was at the crossroads - continue to fill the column with any old crap or quit while I was ahead. I chose to quit.

Now I'm not saying that the SW is full of stale old crap - far from it. Stickman does a very admirable job in filling that column, because even though Bangkok is in a constant state of flux, things don't happen or change all that dramatically.

I don't think that anyone should criticize Stick's unpaid efforts without offering some kind of suggestions. I too think he should dispense with the readers emails, and in addition I'd like to see some photo-journalism because he's pretty handy with a camera is our Stick.

I remember a while back during the rainy season, he wrote a lovely story of a Thai office girl hailing a taxi for him in the middle of a downpour, because Stickman didn't have an umberella. Then he captured the moment on film with a wonderful picture of this office girl soaked to the skin trying to get him a taxi. That's what the weekly needs more of - Johnny on the spot stories. That said, it's difficult to muster up the enthusiasm to go and do it when you're not being paid.

Phil

True, I got distracted before I could offer any real positive suggestions - unfortunately the girls who distracted me were looking for the appartment next to mine! :-)

Now I'm too knackered to think about the subject - Hopefully tomorrow!

Yehtmae

P.S. They're currently saying that the Milan crash looks like an accident. AN ACCIDENT???? An SOS call recorded, a light airplane manages to hit the 'ONLY' tall building in a city, 30 miles from the only airport? Hohum. Another Glenmorangie and off to bed for me.....

Greetings,

Dr. Who (..who Is this Stickman ? ),

Wildly guessing old man,

Given the current info......

1.Accurate supply of needed info on LOS.

2.Most independent view point.

3.Positive attitude to most matters within this forum.

4.Quick response to E-Mails.

5.Etc Etc Etc .............

One would have to deduce ......

1.A fair dinkum New Zealander.

2.Young hansum man ( speak to Pim, On, Joy, June, etc).

Not that I know the chap actually !!!

Keep it high mate.

Kiwi.

I've noticed the column becoming more Trinkish, too. But is that a bad thing?

Stickman's column has evolved as his own life and perceptions have changed. I wasn't around for Trink's early days, but I imagine the same sort of progression happened there. The difference is that Stickman's column is more for our generation (well a lot closer than Trink's, anyway) and his steady audience is changing with him. It would not do any good for Stickman to pretend to be what he is not. As his reports evolve further, maybe there will be a niche for another well-produced column that gives more nitty-gritty details and personal accounts of the sordid nightlife scene.

Archived