Stickman Weekly

hall

OK, I'm a fan of Stick's efforts, so get off his back, or launch your own site ...

As to nationality, I dont think Kiwis enjoy being identified as 'Aussie or something like that' any more than Canadians enjoy beining indentified as American. I'm a proud JAFA, but I love our brothers across the Tasman, despite their inability to accept that the Wallabies are the best rugby side in the world :}

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still stuck in States. Things are going much better now. I am not using my own computer. Can someone send me

Stick's web address? I miss the weekly updates. I have little time for the computer lately; but, would enjoy reading Stick's weekly again. I should be back in early June!! Thanks ... I can't find it doing a simple search. I think it has something to do with AOL on the computer I'm using!

Hi Yehtmae,

I'll open by saying I'm a fan of the Stickman weekly. Some time ago Stick got a lot of flack for, in my opinion, telling things the way they are. If you consider that it's a tame now that might be the reason why. I don't speak for Stick so I'm only guessing there. In addition I don?t regard the column to be tame and although Stick?s perspective on life in the city may be changing you can?t deny that he does write to his target audience.

Either way you must agree that there is a lot of material in both his column and his website and he has undoubtedly given up a lot of his free time.

For those of us who don?t live in Bangkok it?s a welcome sight when it appears every Sunday and I for one derive a lot of pleasure from reading it. Way to go Stickman smile.gif

Regards,

Stump_Dog.

I have just discovered his site. Although I made many many trips to LOS from 77-92 his site has been helpful in enlighting me to the many changes over the last decade. Hell I even learned they built a railroad down the middle of my street. I hope to return early next year.

So pleased to see the Prancing Rodent again.

I must be really dumb,,always amusing.

Re: Stickman......love it,,,,,can't wait to read it......well written.....I think its truth lies in the author.....IMHO,,,,he doesn't seem to be trying to write for a purpose other than his musings. I think (maybe wrong) we get to know Stickman a little that way and welcome the "conversation".

Perhaps he also shows a persistance most of us can admire.

Yeah I'm a bit worried myself about the column but not the man. After all, didn't he apologize for the 7-4 effort, promising a bang-up job 14-4, only to pull the plug?

The way I see it is he's making the normal progression of any normal chap who invests blood, sweat and tears into the LOS for a few years. He's changing, the country is changing, his relation to the country is changing but--guess what?--the nightlife scene hasn't appreciably changed in the 20 years I've known it. It's a rather static topic. (At least from a single point of view. What would be more effective is to cull the gems from this board because you guys are off the map, hitting it from every angle).

Anyway, I bet he has a bit more respect for the Nite Owl, who we've been quick to criticize the past decade or two, and his longevity. In fact, for you conspiracy theorists, consider this:

I suspect he's being groomed as Trink's successor. 'The Post', striving for regional respectability and embarassed that its overseas internet audience completely bypasses its news and editorial content for BT, has for the most part eliminated it from the net altogether and looks for a voice more in tune with its domestic readership. Wouldn't be a bad gig but it is a tough beat as I suspect the Stick has discovered after covering it for a year. That is until the niteries are outlawed. Then you've got yourself a story.

Why else would he give it away for free? You reckon this is true? No perks from barkeeps? Perhaps a pension plan from the TAT? Geez, he does need to get back in the bars then and take an economics lesson from any young lass.

My only regret is that I discovered too late that he was in Phuket last month, when I was, arranging powwows. Me and my mates would have taken care of him. Oh well, next one is on us.

Archived