It's so cold in the village the Beer Chang . . .

Nervous God

It's been cold, VERY cold, down to between 5 and 10c or 50f at night, so what is happening today? Why hasn't DarLek come back from taking kids to

school?

Beer Chang are giving away free blankets to every family.

Very organized, one set per family, show up with photo copy of your house papers.

Sadly no free beer or I'd be there!

Firt time I went to Chiang Mai I dressed in ordinary clothes. It must have been late October and the weather was still pleasant enough in the lower north. But when the train got into the mountains before Chiang Mai, it got effing cold! I saw the Thais had all brought along blankets or jackets, and I was in a short sleeve shirt. I was actually shivering and couldn't sleep a wink that night. Once in CM it wasn't bad, but oh those mountains.

We had electricity in Phitsanulok, but every time a rainstorm began the city would shut it off. They wouldn't turn it back on until the next day when they'd finished checking to see if any lines were down. I always had a kerosine lamp ready. The campus was on the edge of the city, and when the power goes out in the countryside it gets DARK!!!

We had a big swamp behind us and I always loved it when it rained. GRAWK ... grawk...HONK... honk ...

Archived