Thai's addressing farangs by their name?

rookie

Is this a common Thai trait..(not including BG's!]

Seldom do I encounter Thai's that address me by my first name. I know the names of those I encounter often and address them as Khun _(their name), but while they may know my name, it's never spoken.

The few exceptions are Thai's I've know a long time and sometime socialize with.

Do you have similar experiences...?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically that you are in the same (general) age bracket as the person addressing you

"P" Corinthian.....similar age bracket

It's also Male and female specific.....

Female...( I think!!)

Nong ...much younger

Na .... a bit younger

P ....... similar age bracket

Pa....Older

Yai... Very farkkn old

Leave it to the experts to correct me

Cheers DS

You're wrong. Was I helpful? :D

P' means older, from one minute to one decade (approximately). Thais will actually check out the exact minute of birth to confirm this. The first twin to pop out will call the other P' even if they preceded their sibling by mere seconds.

P is also used when someone is higher in the pecking order than you are ... I have had Thais older than me call me P Wa.... .

It generally is an age thing, but also a respect thing.

I got really mad when one of the guys in the group whom is one year older than me started calling me Pa Wa.... . I explained to him that I found it overdone. Also with this guy it is meaningless not even respect as he calls everyone he meets Pa and/or Ajarn,

And Thais whom know my name usually address me by it, with Khun in front mostly. If they do not know my known I get addressed as Ajarn many times because of the status of my boss in the comedy group.

Thai friends call me Ai Sat or Ai Hia ;p

Archived