24/7 same shit different day life!

JungleBunny

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with Mekong. Instead of focusing on working in Thailand, focus on getting an overseas position just about anywhere. No offense to those that have made the decision, but I just don’t understand the reasoning behind leaving your home country to work for less money then you are currently making.

Working overseas should get you more money, not less. You should be able to get at least 50% more and with allowances and such it may approach doubling your home country income.

Once you get the overseas job, you can do your R&R’s in Thailand and set up a home base. Who knows, you might even eventually get an assignment in Thailand, but that should not be the goal. The goal is to maximize earnings now, and enjoy the benefits later (but too much later :content: ).

TH

There are 2 different Thailands:

For holiday makers:

1. The "live the dream / shag girls / get drunk / party every night / fantasy land / holiday / Thailand"

and

For expats:

2. The "work 9-5 in my job, go home, eat, sleep get up and do it all again".

If yor're an expat and you combine number 1 and number 2 in a BIG way, you're screwed. Plain and simple.

I've seen it happen too many times, and in all honesty, it nearly happened to me when I lived there: A younger guy under 40 out of control to a large degree, spending money he didn't have, in bars at least 5 times a week and taking a hooker back to his pad most of those nights. My work sufferred, my health suffered, my bank account definitely sufferred - all because I thought "holiday Thailand" would work while being an expat. For most, it doesn't.

You have been warned. :help:

You have to plan your time as a working expat. When I first moved into Bangkok, I paid a midweek visit to a massage parlour. That held me until the weekend. Without that midweek break, I'd have been going barmy waiting for Friday night and Saturday to come. I had regular MP gals who knew me and gave me special attention. It actually worked out quite well.

Ok thanks for the replies and advice

My biggest problem is I’m not that qualified, I’m just a sales manager for an electrical retailer here in Australia.

So even trying find work close to Thailand is almost impossible, most jobs I see on various websites list mining, commerce or some sort of executive role.

I do agree with some of your comments, I don’t want to live in Thailand on a shoe string. I want to be able to live in a nice place and eat out, party, get my night time sanuk etc.

So working for peanuts isn’t the answer, anyway I hunt around more job sites and look for a trend. :content:

JungleBunny

Mr bunny, that gives a clearer picture. My suggestion then is either rate like mad, your on a good enough pay to do that, and retire early with a yearly trip budgeted into your plan. You could always work out from the ads what jobs are wanted most and study for them, plus one good idea, don't plan to move to thailand, plan to move to asia, the trip or move to thailand is a lot easier if your local. Singapore or malaysia may need your skills before thailand. Harvey norman big in sillypore. Move within a company.

JungleBunny,

I would suggest that you visit jobsdb.com and create a free account and resume. Set up some keyword searches and see what the market offers via a daily email.

I moved to BKK in 2001 without a job and was quickly offered a job via jobsdb. I was on a shoestring but lived in Phuket for almost 2 years. Perhaps the most enjoyable stretch of my life.

In 2005 I answered an ad on bangkok's craiglist and had a plane ticket in my mailbox 2 weeks later for another 2 year stretch.

If you are serious start using the job boards to build up knowledge of the market and perhaps you will get lucky. On both occaisions I let the nightlife get the best of me instead of focusing on networking and finding the perfect position...no regrets there, just the knowledge that it could have been different.

I would also suggest the jobsdb Philippines site as there is a great amount of english speaking outsourcing happening there.

It's great you are canvassing this board for info but start doing the legwork yourself and you will be able to make a more informed decision on what opportunity is available in your industry.

Good luck!

Archived