Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Michelle is a NASCAR fan? Did she think the Bubbas and Bubbettes would welcome her presence? Certainly it is wrong, but if it were going to happen anywhere ...

p.s. You are probably not old enough to remember when Ertha Kitt stood up at a White House dinner and told off Lady Bird Johnson over the Vietnam War. Come to think of it, you are probably not old enough to remember Ertha Kitt or Lady Bird Johnson. :p

The NASCAR crowd is not one of Obama's niches but they can't say he didn't send someone. Actually, I know who both are...lol. Eartha Kit was once the catwoman on the campy Batman series. The re-runs was on this UHF (remember those?) channels as a kid. She also had a bit part in an Eddie Murphy movie called Boomerang (good movie btw). LadyBird Johnson, I'm a bit of a presidential historian so I know who the first ladies are for the most part. Don't know any thing of note about her. Eartha kit was dead wrong for doing that. Respect the position if you can't the person. Just like ranked officer in the military. Respect the rank, if not the person.

p.s. You are probably not old enough to remember when Ertha Kitt stood up at a White House dinner and told off Lady Bird Johnson over the Vietnam War. Come to think of it, you are probably not old enough to remember Ertha Kitt or Lady Bird Johnson. :p

Not all of us fought is the Spanish-American War. smirk.gif

The refreshing thing about many Dems is that they will be honest about their feelings and criticize each other. Chris Matthews has valid points. During the 8 years of Bush, Republicans did nothing. Many saw the BS, erosion of freedoms and civil liberties and stood idly by. Even the media. The party it seems is more important than the nation. I truly believe maney see the party and the country as the same so being loyal to the Republican party is being a good American and being loyal to America.

This painting of Obama as the worst President is inaccurate to be kind. He's not even the worse this century. He put himself in a position where he had to walk on water. He has made mistakes. The conservative mantra has been to transfer the blame of the debt to him instead of Bush. I am very confident that had McCain been elected we'd be in as bad or worse of a situation. The wars would still be going on with much higher participation and that would have soaked up untold billions. bin Laden would all likely still be alive and enjoying life in a Pakistani mansion. All McCain would have done is cut taxes for the rich and they'd be richer than they are now and we'd be seeing more people suffering from cuts to social welfare, medicare and the VA.

Its the loss of power NOT the state of the country that has Republicans and conservatives pissed off. The '90s told me that. The country was doing phenominally well so their focus moved to morals. Even dredging up stuff from way back with the Rose law firm thingy. Who cared?

Gary Johnson and Huntsman have great records as governors but are overlooked by Republicans. If you can't take Paul, Johnson and Huntsman are great alternatives. Romney or Perry can't hold a candle to these guys. Romney's ONLY value for them is that he polls well against Obama.

The refreshing thing about many Dems is that they will be honest about their feelings and criticize each other. Chris Matthews has valid points. During the 8 years of Bush, Republicans did nothing. Many saw the BS, erosion of freedoms and civil liberties and stood idly by. Even the media. The party it seems is more important than the nation. I truly believe maney see the party and the country as the same so being loyal to the Republican party is being a good American and being loyal to America.

From an outside view it doesn't matter anymore whom to blame for the current crisis. What matters now is that the political system has become so dysfunctional that it is incapable of finding and implementing proper solutions to overcome the self-caused mess.

First the Reps blocked any solution in spring, now the so called super committee failed completely with Dems and Reps blaming each other, and soon the election campaign will be in full swing. In the worst case there won't be a real solution until 2013.

IMHO US politics are as deeply split as in LOS. Dems against Reps, like Red Shirts against Yellow Shirts. While the people in LOS can improvise and if they fail, no one outside SE Asia will really notice, an even more declining USA will have severe consequences all around the world. We will all have to pay for it.

I guess the elite in the USA still doesn't feel enough pain to face the reality.

Just compare this with Greece and Italy. In both countries the traditionally terrible and corrupt politicians who ran their countries into the ground have been fired and replaced by technocrats - but both countries had almost to declare bankruptcy until this could happen.

IMHO US politics are as deeply split as in LOS. Dems against Reps, like Red Shirts against Yellow Shirts. While the people in LOS can improvise and if they fail, no one outside SE Asia will really notice, an even more declining USA will have severe consequences all around the world. We will all have to pay for it.

Kamui...we finally agree on something politically ! (I think the world is, indeed, coming to an end. 55555555) The country was quite polarized politically even before Barry was elected. His platform was one which included non-partisanship, working together, blah blah blah. (As Steve noted above, he campaigned extolling those things which he had almost no chance to accomplish.)

Almost immediately, Obama took on issues which clashed significantly with the oppositon. Instead of focusing on the economy and jobs (which he knows little about), he focused on stuff like "don't ask, don't tell", telling our enemies when we will be running up the white flag, doubling GWB's deficit in only 2 years, and literally pushing health care legislation down the public's throat. These were all issues that significantly polarized the parties, instead of promoting "cooperation". It was only natural that his opposition would dig in it's heels and give him the finger, as he had done to it so publicly. The November 2010 elections has shown that a good portion of independents have abandoned Barry; I suspect even more will join the opposition. Over 70% of the country thinks the country is headed in the wrong direction. Just today, two former Demoncratic polsters/advisors have written in major newspapers that Obama should not seek a second term, as did Johnson. He is just too polarizing and challenges the opposition to deny him what he wants. They are NOT going to give it to him.

A change in the WH will be good, I hope. A lot of folks hoped that 4 years ago and they were wrong. New leadership in that position is the only thing that will get the bus back on the road. Four more years of Obama demonizing 1% of the population as the reason he can't effectively govern is pathetic.

HH