Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Yep. He used to burn them at the stake.

Shock poll: Obama could lose Illinois, Romney leads in Chicago suburbs

President Barack Obama could lose his home state of Illinois in November, a new poll shows.

A poll conducted by Illinois-based pollster and political strategist Michael McKeon found Obama leading Republican Mitt Romney by 49 percent to 37 percent in Cook County, the home of Chicago. That puts him ahead by a far thinner margin than expected in a county he should be winning handsomely.

Cook is the most Democratic leaning county in the state. It is also the most populous.

Those numbers do not bode well for the president.

“He has to come out of Cook County with a big lead or he’s gonna have problems downstate,†explained McKeon, who said that based on the numbers he had seen, Obama polled only in the forties in downstate Illinois.

“It’s not like his policies are very popular downstate,†McKeon said. “He’s viewed as more part of Chicago than he is part of Illinois.â€

According to the poll, which surveyed 629 registered voters last week, Obama’s problems are not in Chicago proper, but in suburban Cook County.

In the city of Chicago itself, he retains a 60-29 lead over Romney. But the Republican challenger leads 45-38 in the surrounding areas. Across the county as a whole, Romney leads 43-31 among independent voters, a crucial voting bloc. Romney also holds a 44-38 lead among male voters, and a 53-40 lead among white voters.

Illinois is not considered a swing state by any means; it is seen as solidly blue, and has been for the past two election cycles. But McKeon pointed to the 2010 gubernatorial race when Republican Bill Brady came within a single percentage point of now-Gov. Pat Quinn because Brady won most of the downstate counties. That is a feat Romney could repeat this year, leaving Obama vulnerable if he cannot expand his lead in Cook County.

My link

Miitt Romney's great grand father got so pissed off

he flew the American flag at half mast on July 4, 1885

to protest the American view on polygamy.

Will Mitt fly the mask at half mask on the 4th

to protest Obamacare?

There is still a few "settlements" out there in northern rural Arizona. Every once in awhile the authorities raid one of the Morman clan settlements. Multiple wives. "Elders" marrying young lasses. These "settlements" are of course, condemed by the regular Morman church elders. Utah was much larger in area before the territories became states. Northern Arizona has a large Morman population. The 2nd largest Morman tabernacle is in Mesa, Arizona.

Is it the mast or staff that gets raised?

"The middle class in America is being systematically wiped out, and most people don't even realize what is happening.

Every single year, millions more Americans fall out of the middle class and become dependent on the government. The United States once had the largest and most vibrant middle class in the history of the world, but now the middle class is rapidly shrinking and government dependence is at an all-time high.

So why is this happening? Well, America is becoming a poorer nation at the same time that wealth is becoming extremely concentrated at the very top."

LINK

I wish I stated this myself. Good point Unit.

Interesting thing is I saw a guy on CNN who wrote what he claims is an unbiased account of Obama's presidency and found a remarkable amount of success. I wouldn't expect Ferguson, a McCain advisor to mention this.

I think Obama could have and should have done better However, I don't think he is even close to being as bad as Republicans make out. This guy even goes after his foreign policy record and its one of. Obama's shining achievements. Romney hardly mentions it. The Republican foreign policy strategy simply does not work. Its overly aggressive when it need not be and has the American arrogance tone to that the world has come to despise.

I am not voting for Obama. He is not the best choice I believe. I'll gladly 'waste' my vote on Johnson. However, its obvious there are really only two choices and as I said before, its clearly not Romney who parrots conservative platitudes that Republicans themselves never even do. Its lip service to get elected.

Another thing. We have very short memories. I think most of us forget just how dangerously close we became to a financial meltdown. We really have forgotten. Under Obama's care we have not only stopped the bleeding but are slowly, perhaps too slowly, going up instead of downards. It will take years. Better administration and management can make that speedier but we are getting better. The deteriation of the middle class is going on but its been going on for decades now. Helped by BOTH parties. This man, Ferguson isn't objective. If he was he would be blaming his own party as well as co-conspirator if not ring leader.

The reversal of the slide was done so adeptly we have minimized its magnitude in our minds I think. The man had an herculean task, almost impossible with the added disadvantage of an opposition party who were loathe to see any accomplishments.

Ferguson, as most conservatives do, makes criticisms without offering alternatives. Its not Romney.

I wish I stated this myself. Good point Unit.

It's a well known fact that the ratio of the spread of wealth in USA is coming close to second world countries like LOS: i.e. a lot of very poor and lower middle class and small group of super rich.

Here is what Ferguson wrote at Newsweek and below the fact check:

"Welcome to Obama's America: nearly half the population is not represented on a taxable return--almost exactly the same proportion that lives in a household where at least one member receives some type of government benefit. We are becoming the 50-50 nation--half of us paying the taxes, the other half receiving the benefits."

It is true that 46 percent of households did not pay federal income tax in 2011. It is not true that they pay no taxes. Federal income taxes account barely account for half of federal taxes, and much less of total taxes, if you count the state and local level. Many of those other taxes can be regressive. If you take all taxes into account, our system is barely progressive at all.

But why do almost half of all households pay no federal income tax? Because they don't have much money to tax. Here's the breakdown from the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center. Half of these households are simply too poor -- they make under $20,000 -- to have any liability. Another quarter are retirees on tax-exempt Social Security benefits. The remaining households have no liability because of tax expenditures like the earned-income tax credit or the child credit.

In other words, the poor, the old, and children. Not exactly the "50-50 nation" of makers and takers -- or "lucky duckies" -- that Ferguson imagines.

http://www.theatlant...t-obama/261306/

If we were in an economic boom, I'd be worried about that number. In these times? No. If Republicans were in charge and stopped unemployment benefits, cut social welfare, etc. there would be rioting in the streets (I'm being melodramatic). People are hurting. I know many hardworking friends of mine who couldn't find a decent job and most are making due with jobs that paid signficantly less than they were making and living paycheck to paycheck at best. Most are in debt.

I have to think that a lot of the millions out there are Republican. They tried desperately in vain to get a decent job and can't.