Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Cav, you have half the States, like my home State Kansas leaving it to the Federal government to create their exchanges. And you have the same States not buying into increasing Medicaid coverage, as allowed in the Supreme Court decision. I'm looking forward to this fall, when I can actually compare coverages available to me. As the sole breadwinner in a family of 6, I will get some sort of subsidy. If the premiums are above $600 a month, I may have to pass, at least on myself. Taking a 60 year old out of the health care equation, with the rest, 40, 23, 19, 16 and 5, I should be able to at least cover them. I'm going to be interested in whether public opinion on Obamacare changes over 2014, as it is implemented and people see the good things in it, as well as the bad. There is no doubt that Obamacare will need major tweaking in the next couple of years. However, gutting it or repealing it may not be an option if public opinion does change toward liking Obamacare.

Ventura dangles idea of 2016 presidential bid

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Just back from his part-time home in Mexico, former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura dangled the idea Friday that he could run for the U.S. presidency in 2016.

Ventura eagerly volunteered the possibility while at Minnesota's Capitol — and pushed back against skepticism that he would re-enter the political fray after being out of office since 2003. It's hardly the first time the publicity savvy Ventura has broached the idea he would run for the White House or Senate, only to pass on a campaign.

He said the next race is "an opportune time" for an independent like him to run because there will be no incumbent. He said he's approached radio shock jock Howard Stern about being his running mate, and Stern expressed interest. :tuxedo:

An email message seeking comment from Stern's agent was left Friday night by The Associated Press.

"The key to this next election I think will be a candidate who doesn't belong to a political party and who has the ability to rise above the mainstream and get the press, which I've never had a problem doing," Ventura said.

He said he would run on an anti-war platform, and his first act would be to close the military prison in Guantanamo Bay and return the naval base to Cuba.

The former actor and ex-pro wrestler won election in 1999 in Minnesota as a Reform Party candidate, but he later disavowed party ties. He didn't seek re-election after his term. He went on to host a short-lived television talk show and more recently a cable TV program on conspiracy theories. Ventura now splits his time between Minnesota and Mexico, where he's surfs and golfs.

Tanned and relaxed, the 62-year-old Ventura pulled up his tie-dye shirt at one point to show off his toned abdomen muscles to prove he was in good health.

He was at the Capitol to mark the retirement of a veteran gubernatorial bodyguard.

http://news.yahoo.com/ventura-dangles-idea-2016-presidential-bid-225507746.html

Any 3rd party candidate has to go up against the united opposition of both major parties. To get into the debates, I think the threshold is to have at least 10% support. I'm pretty sure that jesse won't have anything close to that kind of support.

An side note.

My US $500,000+ salaried business neighbor initially stated that the company he works for will not provide any health insurance. They currently have one of the premium gold plans. Drop all health insurance. Company will pay the government penalty. And just give all employees a raise to cover the premiums for Obamacare.

Now he states his company is all for Obamacare. Not sure what the change in direction is but company has lawyers and accountants analyzing such.

It should be interesting to see what actually happens - to the general public in 2014 and beyond.

Dean you must be loaded if your neighbor is making that kind of money. Meet your new best friend 'Chocolat Steve' haha...joking. (partially).

Hard to know what will happen when Obamacare kicks in. There will be an adjustment period. The current political climate suggests that the opposition will do anything in its power to make it unsuccessful.

If it looks like it will be a permanent fixture that can't get killed legilatively then I hope they at least work to iron out any bugs and make it better. You may not like a legislation or an act but if you can't change it at least make it better for the people.

I heard Jesse a few times and he's an easy target but I couldn't really find much fault with the things I've heard him say in interviews. The one big mark I ever had against him was his trying to draft Trump into running a few years ago but to be fair, I don't think anyone really knew how crazy Trump was or had become.

Jesse was the first one i saw who defended his view of Iran which was leave them alone except for the support of terrorism, by saying that they are pursuing a nuke out of fear. He showed a map of Iran and the number of U.S. bases around it and they were pretty much surrounded on their borders by American bases and their waters patrolled by carriers and then said that if both your eastern and western neighbors were invaded by America and the other (Turkey) was an ally, what would you do?

I'm curious to hear his views on social issues (abortion, gay marriage, Manchester United :p, etc.)

...his trying to draft Trump into running a few years ago but to be fair, I don't think anyone really knew how crazy Trump was or had become.

No claiming presience or anything, but trump has always looked like a nutter to me.