USA's Best and Worst Airports Named

MooNoi

I recall touring TBIT when it was being built and knowing even then it was already obsolete.

Construction is in the works for a new concourse to be connected to the west side of the current TBIT with 18 additional gates. The taxiways currently located there are being moved further west (above). Completion target is 12/12/12.

bradleylead.jpg

I'm not expecting greatness, LAX has too many space constraints, but at least it will be an improvement. Perhaps the best part is that T3 and T4 will be connected to TBIT by walkway.

Maybe it's unfair that we compare any US airport with other international airports, because ours primarily cater to the largest domestic market in the world. Anyone who changes planes has to clear customs, even if they're only in transit to another country (sucks, but doesn't apply to many passengers). Compare that to Changi, which is purely international, changing planes is easy (except to the budget terminal) and customs is a breeze.

Of course, we could come up with a better plan with all terminals inter-connected if we could nuke LAX and start over, but it would still be and international to domestic v.v hassle.

Portland has an international airport? Then why does everyone fly through Seattle? I don't think I ever even been to Oregon.

Far more flights to everyplace out of Seattle than Portland. PDX has its oddities. If you rent a car, you don't drive to the airport expecting to fill up in the vicinity of the rental car return because there aren't any gas stations close to the airport.

Of course, we could come up with a better plan with all terminals inter-connected if we could nuke LAX and start over, but it would still be and international to domestic v.v hassle.

When did the US build a new international airport the last time?

Archived