I Screwed Up Yet Again

expat

Was at a bar and some dude with his friend asked if the seat near me was open. Things were cramped, but on the other side of me there was space and I was about to tell him that, but the waitress beat me to it. The guy asked if he could squeeze by me, but it was much easier for him to walk around the table--even if I moved it would have been a tight squeeze for him.

I pointed to the correct way to go, and the guy got all angry at me and made a rude comment as if I was being an ass to him rather than trying to be helpful. Then his friend came around and sat next to me, making a point to bump into me to show his displeasure at me.

Here's where I fucked up. I yelled at the dude, something like "Asshole, I was trying to help your friend." They got an attitude, and I yelled some more at them. Everyone around just ignored what was going on, including the two guys. They stared straight ahead and talked to each other in German or some other language.

After ten minutes or so, I tapped the guy next to me on the shoulder and apologized, again saying I was just trying to help. He shook my hand and then the original guy shook my hand.

If I had done that to the wrong person, I'd be in big trouble. It's just not worth it. Best thing I could have done is just ignore the guy when he was being an asshole to me.

Me too, especially in farangland. I have little patience for poor bar etiquette (nearly got into it last week when someone shoved my barstool aside to make room for himself, but the guy apologized). When I have a few drinks in me, I tend to assume people are deliberately being assholes, but in reality, most people are just clueless, particularly young people.

Maybe their fathers' didn't take them to pubs and teach them manners when they were young, like my dad. :drunk: Or maybe they are influenced by pop culture. Nearly all bar patrons in television commercials, TV shows and movies (in America) are depicted as dickheads, IMO. Ever see one of them say 'please' when ordering a drink? Beer ads, in particular, show people acting like fools on a regular basis.

Here's a clueless thing that happens often and never ceases to amaze me. I'm the only person seated at a large bar, and I go out to have a smoke, leaving my drink on the bar. Someone steps up to the bar to order a drink to take elsewhere. Where do they stand at the bar to order? Right where my fucking drink is! What are these people thinking? Do they walk in, see one drink sitting on the bar and think, "Oh, that must be the spot where you get drinks here?" :rolleyes:

WTF? End rant. :susel:

Me too, especially in farangland. I have little patience for poor bar etiquette (nearly got into it last week when someone shoved my barstool aside to make room for himself, but the guy apologized). When I have a few drinks in me, I tend to assume people are deliberately being assholes, but in reality, most people are just clueless, particularly young people.

Maybe their fathers' didn't take them to pubs and teach them manners when they were young, like my dad. :drunk: Or maybe they are influenced by pop culture. Nearly all bar patrons in television commercials, TV shows and movies (in America) are depicted as dickheads, IMO. Ever see one of them say 'please' when ordering a drink? Beer ads, in particular, show people acting like fools on a regular basis.

Here's a clueless thing that happens often and never ceases to amaze me. I'm the only person seated at a large bar, and I go out to have a smoke, leaving my drink on the bar. Someone steps up to the bar to order a drink to take elsewhere. Where do they stand at the bar to order? Right where my fucking drink is! What are these people thinking? [color:red]Do they walk in, see one drink sitting on the bar and think, "Oh, that must be the spot where you get drinks here?"[/color] :rolleyes:

WTF? End rant. :susel:

Ooops!

I should have added the caveat that I'm not a big or tough guy, and very mild-mannered (as many here can attest), but my tolerance to bad manners works in reverse proportion to the number of drinks I have in me.

I read about a recent study that sort of confirms this. They gave cocktails to half the test group (in a bar environment, IIRC) and placebos tasting like alcohol to the other half, and had them witness ambiguous 3rd party behaviors. The inebriated group largely interpreted those behaviors and acts of aggression, whereas the sober folks shrugged the behaviors off as inadvertent.

While I'm on a roll, here's another farangland pet peeve. Empty bar at a golf course, apart from maybe me and a buddy. No music, maybe a sporting event on TV with volume on low. Foursome comes in from the course, seat themselves at a table and have to FUCKING YELL AT EACH OTHER ACROSS THE TABLE with their re-counts of the round's events. In an instant, the bar is almost uninhabitable! Don't get me started...grrrr... :susel:

Reminds me of a joke...." A man seated at the bar wanted to go to the toilet but was afraid someone would pinch his drink,so he wrote a message on the back of a fag packet --" I have spit in this beer "--when he got back someone had written " so have I "....

LOL

Reminds me of something that happened to me in the late 60's...

I borrowed a Company Car to go to the Bank at lunch time...

Whilst I was in the Bank....some cnut reversed into "my" Company car causing damage...

When I came out I found a note under the windscreen wiper blade....

It read: Sorry I hit your car.....The stupid pricks that are watching me think I am leaving my details for you....

Som nom na...I guess

While I'm on a roll, here's another farangland pet peeve. Empty bar at a golf course, apart from maybe me and a buddy. No music, maybe a sporting event on TV with volume on low. Foursome comes in from the course, seat themselves at a table and have to FUCKING YELL AT EACH OTHER ACROSS THE TABLE with their re-counts of the round's events. In an instant, the bar is almost uninhabitable! Don't get me started...grrrr... :susel:

A couple of months ago I went to a Friday gathering at Los Cabos. It was raining steadily, so we moved indoors. There were only 4 or 5 of us and the big room in the rear of LC was almost empty. But a group of young morons - Farang and Thai, maybe international school brats by the look of them - sat in the corner and FUCKING SCREAMED AT EACH OTHER FROM ABOUT 10 INCHES AWAY!!! We almost couldn't hear ourselves over the dumb shits. Do these douchebags think it is cool to YELL AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS? My hearing is crap anyway, thanks to my holiday in the Central Highlands years ago, but I could hear every word they said from across the room. I'm sure the people in the next soi could hear them too. :(

Archived