USA pushed Climate Change Accord - why?

lifeline

WikiLeaks cables reveal how US manipulated climate accord

Embassy dispatches show America used spying, threats and promises of aid to get support for Copenhagen accord

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/dec/03/wikileaks-us-manipulated-climate-accord

Putting aside whether or not a substantive accord being reached in Copenhagen would be morally and environmentally correct (since I don't believe this was the primary motivation of the Obama Administration - feel free to disagree), I don't get it. Although Cap and Trade would provide the US Gov with additional revenue and control over corporations and individuals, it would also mean a transfer of power to the UN and a great deal of money to underdeveloped countries.

Why would the US want to hand over power to the UN? The way my simple mind looks at it, if I felt morally obligated to contribute 20% of my earnings to humanitarian causes, I would try to do so. But, I wouldn't sign a document that allowed some other entity to control 20% of my income. So, what incentive caused the US to not only support this transfer of authority and financial obligation to the UN, but, also use very aggressive means to influence other countries to support these measures?

I can understand Al Gore. His carbon footprint is more than 10 times the average American and he stands to make millions of $, if not billions of $, if Cap and Trade happened. But, I can not understand the motivation of the US Government.

And, from what I have read, England and other European countries are acting similar to the US.

I don't get it.

Any insight would be appreciated because it is beyond my understanding.

I think it is obvious.

The 2008 election was a god send to the libs and reenforced some of the more radical agendas. So, in an effort to appeal to the left lead by Gore, Obama et al, thinking C&T was a great idea, went all out in its first months to get it done with there apparent electoral mandate.

Then someone showed how the science was fucked up beyond all comprehension, and the deal got obliterated.

While I agree with your sentiment, with regards to the question I asked, it is nothing more than a platitude.

I am a US citizen. This position was taken by the same Obama who sent an additional 30,000 US soldiers to Afghanistan and visited last week to tell the troops we are making progress.

Bit of a disconnect don't you think?

So, why was Obama pushing, in a very aggressive way, the Climate Change Accord?

The 2008 election was a god send to the libs and reenforced some of the more radical agendas. So, in an effort to appeal to the left lead by Gore, Obama et al, thinking C&T was a great idea, went all out in its first months to get it done with there apparent electoral mandate.

As I said, I can understand Gore, but, I don't understand Obama - what was Obama's incentive? His actions have shown him to be no more principled than Bill Clinton - so, I don't believe he was simply acting out of humanitarian concerns or concerns for the environment (the US could take extreme unilateral actions out of concern for the environment if it chose to do so).

So, why the very aggressive posture which would transfer power and funds to the UN?

As I said' date=' I can understand Gore, but, I don't understand Obama - what was Obama's incentive? [/quote']

As I said, they thought they had a mandate from the US people. And it might have worked had not the truth of the science (or lack of it) come out.

One word, the truth: Scientology. :p

Archived