Are Thais really passive?

AD1985

stopped to refill at an esso station yesterday in Pattaya and was told by the attendant THAI ONLY AT THIS PUMP NO FARANG ...YOU GO NOW !!!!!!

my daughter who is LUK KRUNG then explained in fluent Thai that she is Thai and then blows started coming from the female pump attandant !!!!!! Unfortunately for her my daughter who is only 11 is a blkackbelt in taekwondo and swiftly dealt with both staff and we were aided by nice German guy who was also waiting got involved ...we al drove away confused ....whats all this about ?

I have made a report to the cops who dont seems interested

from another forum

I seriously doubt that an 11 year old is a black belt in any martial art. I have an ex-Special Forces buddy who has studied martial arts for 40 years. He is 6' 3" and could throw you across the room, but he is only a brown belt in judo and taekwondo.

I've also never seen anyone start beating on a stranger's child. None of this very believable - even for Pattaya.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stopped to refill at an esso station yesterday in Pattaya and was told by the attendant THAI ONLY AT THIS PUMP NO FARANG ...YOU GO NOW !!!!!!

my daughter who is LUK KRUNG then explained in fluent Thai that she is Thai and then blows started coming from the female pump attandant !!!!!! Unfortunately for her my daughter who is only 11 is a blkackbelt in taekwondo and swiftly dealt with both staff and we were aided by nice German guy who was also waiting got involved ...we al drove away confused ....whats all this about ?

I have made a report to the cops who dont seems interested

from another forum

I seriously doubt that an 11 year old is a black belt in any martial art. I have an ex-Special Forces buddy who has studied martial arts for 40 years. He is 6' 3" and could throw you across the room' date=' but he is only a brown belt in judo and taekwondo.

I've also never seen anyone start beating on a stranger's child. None of this very believable - even for Pattaya.

[/quote']

How about 6 yo? Your buddy is a slow learner.

28QGUwrOZmw

I've heard that thai people are more passive and afraid of confrontations. After watching some videos on youtube I have to wonder if this is accurate; from what I've seen, Thai people are quite lively and not fitting the "quiet submissive asian" stereotype at all.

Hopefully someone can help me understand the picture better!

Also on a more personal level: All bar girls I met have the famous "Up to You" line. This makes it very easy for the punter in the beginning: you say what you want and the girl follows more or less happily.

But I just had a closer relationship with a BG and soon the "Up to You" line vanished completely. Behind her smiles and initial very polite (but not really submissive) behavior a completely different person shone through who was hard as nails.

I guess some Westerners confuse extreme politeness and a kind of submissiveness with weakness. That's a mistake.

BGs have to be to survive in their business. If they didn't start out that way, they have to toughen up or get out of it. I personally know someone who becomes a nasty drunk and has smacked around a few BGs pretty badly. Fortunately, he has come to his senses and cut way back on his drinking.

How about 6 yo? Your buddy is a slow learner.

Does anyone believe that room full of kids are all black belts? American martial art schools are often laughed at in Asia. Remember the villain in the Karate Kid II, the Asian who fought the hero? He said he had studied for 5 years but was still a brown belt.

<< In contrast to the "black belt as master" stereotype, a black belt commonly indicates the wearer is competent in a style's basic technique and principles. [color:red]Since in many styles a black belt takes approximately three to six years of training to achieve,[/color] a good intuitive analogy would be a bachelor's degree: the student has a good understanding of concepts and ability to use them but has not yet perfected their skills. In this analogy a master's degree and a doctorate would represent advancement past the first degree.

As a 'black belt' is commonly viewed as conferring some status, achieving one has been used as a marketing 'gimmick', for example a guarantee of being awarded one within a specific period or if a specific amount is paid. [color:red]Some schools place profit ahead of ability when using these tactics and are sometimes referred to as McDojos.[/color] >>

Archived