Are Thais really passive?

AD1985

I've heard that thai people are more passive and afraid of confrontations. After watching some videos on youtube I have to wonder if this is accurate; from what I've seen, Thai people are quite lively and not fitting the "quiet submissive asian" stereotype at all.

Hopefully someone can help me understand the picture better!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way back in our Peace Corps training in the 1970s they warned us about that. Thais keep smiling until they finally exploded. That is why there are so many violent crimes here - beatings, stabbings, shootings. With a westerner it is easy to see when we are getting pissed off. Not so easy with Thais - even between Thais themselves.

I would like to add another dimension to what has already been said. Firstly, I agree entirely with "They tend to keep stuff bottled up, and once that explodes...".

But, secondly, they are trained/educated to follow instructions - do as they are told to do - do not think independently. So, in a business situation, they are not assertive, they are passive. To illustrate this, I was friends with a Thai guy who was a manager in a large firm that provided additional education beyond that available in Thai schools (English, Math). He was the best English speaking Thai person I have met. So, I could talk with him the same way I could talk to a native English language person. Anyway, one day he asked me for some help/advise. His problem was that no one on his staff could do anything except handle well defined situations that told them exactly what to do. So, if anything slightly unusual happened his staff was totally at a loss and he had to get involved. So, if you want someone to do repetitive work and be passive, not think, not do anything outside the box and risk making a mistake, Thai people will fit your bill.

So, in general, in my experience, Thai people are not assertive (passive). But, in personal situations, they seem to bottle things up until they explode.

Also, in tourist areas, where Thais have their turf, Thais are very assertive (not passive) in protecting their turf.

Personally, I always try to be polite and smile in any situation involving a Thai because you never know when the explosion will occur.

I've heard that thai people are more passive and afraid of confrontations. After watching some videos on youtube I have to wonder if this is accurate; from what I've seen, Thai people are quite lively and not fitting the "quiet submissive asian" stereotype at all.

Hopefully someone can help me understand the picture better!

They are not afraid of confrontations, they like most of Asians, are brought up in a culture that avoids them. There is big difference.

Also, avoiding confrontations does not make you passive or submissive either.

TH

stopped to refill at an esso station yesterday in Pattaya and was told by the attendant THAI ONLY AT THIS PUMP NO FARANG ...YOU GO NOW !!!!!!

my daughter who is LUK KRUNG then explained in fluent Thai that she is Thai and then blows started coming from the female pump attandant !!!!!! Unfortunately for her my daughter who is only 11 is a blkackbelt in taekwondo and swiftly dealt with both staff and we were aided by nice German guy who was also waiting got involved ...we al drove away confused ....whats all this about ?

I have made a report to the cops who dont seems interested

from another forum

<< Anyway, one day he asked me for some help/advise. His problem was that no one on his staff could do anything except handle well defined situations that told them exactly what to do. So, if anything slightly unusual happened his staff was totally at a loss and he had to get involved. So, if you want someone to do repetitive work and be passive, not think, not do anything outside the box and risk making a mistake, Thai people will fit your bill. >>

I have a friend here who was having some calendars and greeting card designed to sell in the west. He said his problem was the Thais would do exactly what you told them (very well actually), but would do nothing more. He outsourced some of the work from Thailand to India and was amazed. The Indian designers would take his ideas and play with them, being creative and original.

It doesn't surprise me though, since I've seen it myself in the classrooms. e.g. One of my Thai colleagues told me she'd heard some students talking about how much they liked my speaking classes. She asked if she could observe one, an idea I cringed at but couldn't refuse. Any way, she came into a class as agreed and sat in the rear. To my surprise the students just seemed to ignore her. Class went on as usual, but after about 20 minutes the Thai archan stood up, glared at me and stomped out of the room. I thought, "Oh, shit ... what have I done?" Afterwards she cornered me and gave me both barrels. My students were "terrible"! They asked questions, they challenged me, they argued with me, I let them be so impolite to me! :surprised:

I explained to her that it had taken me six weeks to get them to act that way! It's what you are supposed to do in a university classroom. Not in her book, obviously. Students should act like sponges, sitting quietly and soaking up whatever garbage the teacher spouts at them. Education is a process of memorising and regurgitating information. What the fark was wrong with me for not understanding that? :(

Archived