Are Thais really passive?

AD1985

The same generation gap is very obvious in the universities themselves. The older archans tend to be weaker in English and even not very effective teachers. They use the same methods their archans used on them 30 years ago. The younger archans have grown up with cable TV and thus much more exposure to English, plus they are less bound by tradition. Almost all have studied in the west for at least a years or two and become somewhat westernised.

Unfortunately, the government some years back decided to withdraw the universities from complete government support. They are now "public universities" with only partial government financing. This has led to a need to create bizarre degree programmes to make money - things like an MA in Real Estate or in Women's Studies (WTF is that?). One uni allegedly has an MA in Khatoey Studies. And since the archans are no longer civil servants - except the older ones allowed to keep their status until they retire, they must worry about tenure. New hires start on a one year contract. They are evaluated twice during that year. If they are successful, they get a 2 year contract, followed by a 5 year contract. Thus they cannot be as outspoken as they might wish to, since they have to please their older superiors to keep their job. As a civil servant, they could argue and complain all they wanted, since they couldn't be fired. But not any more.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting about the change in achans and the support they get (or rather don't get) from the government. In the year-end edition of The Economist there is a good article about the the large supply of PhDs vs. the number of teaching positions opening up for PhDs and what that is doing salaries, attitudes, etc.

I guess its not exactly the same as Thailand, but there is a similiar withdraw of government support. Thailand does need more good educational institutions - starting from year one. There was an article yesterday or the day before in the Bangkok Post comparing the median levels of eduction throughout the region, and Thailand did not fare well.

Perhaps a digression, but how are Thailand PhDs viewed internationally? I haven't heard many positive comments. I heard that PhDs in Thai history and politics from outside of Thailand were taken more seriously than PhDs from within Thai schools because of constraints here in dealing with certain very real, but also taboo, subjects (how can you study Thai society and history properly if you don't critically consider and analyze the role of these aspects of Thai society seriously). Is this still true, and are only those students study in Wisconisn, etc., to get an advanced degree in these areas still taken seriously? I wonder if the come back?

In business areas, Thai students that have studied abroad and done well are now more likely to come back, although most of the better ones still want to stay abroad: more opportunities, better pay, less social BS. I wonder if the same happens in the academic world?

A Thai colleague got his PhD in the US. He taught in the States for 5 years and was an assistant prof. His family kept bugging him to come home, so he did. Even though he'd been an assistant prof in the US, he had to start as an ordinary lecturer (archan - the level Farangs are virtually stuck at no matter how long we teach here). The uni told him what he'd done in the US didn't count.

Promotion at the unies doesn't seem to be related very much to degrees. I've met associate profs with only an MA and lecturers with a PhD and many years teaching experience. It takes a genuine effort to get promoted (or the right connections). Apparently one has to apply and provided stacks of reasons material etc to justify it. Many just don't bother.

I know one of the only 2 Farangs who have ever been promoted to full prof in Thailand. He was quite angry to find out he couldn't get the pay increase that goes with it. That was only for Thais! He was officially a full prof, with papers signed by the King to show it - but he still got only a lecturer's pay. The difference was considerable. WTF?

p.s. Many of the BBA students I've taught in Thailand are from Chinese-Thai business families. No need for them to worry about a job, they take over the family's own company. (One girl's uncle owns Bangkok Air!) As to Thai PhD's being respected in other countries, I'd say it depends on the unies. Thailand is loaded with "universities" these days that would never be allowed that title in the west. At the major "public universities", students have to work for any degree. At the rachaphats and private unies it is hard not to graduate. I knew a girl who graduated from a well known private business uni and wanted to study for a masters in Europe. She found out her BA degree was not recognised outside LOS. (Didn't surprise me, knowing where she'd studied.)

I've occasionally taught English classes for private companies or even government departments. Unfortunately, you can't divide classes into ability groups, since the boss or poobah is invariably going to be one of the weakest in English. It would be a major loss of face for him not to be in the top ability group, so you just throw everyone together and do the best you can.

Archived