3 years of traffic hell, and then Bangkok 'a better place'

Flashermac

At least progress is being made. When going around town with the group at night I see many of the already ongoing constructions.

Red line is progressing very nicely so is the Purple line! Even though contracts haven't been signed yet at some places preparations are already being made for the blue line underground section. Cables are being rerouted at some critical intersections already!

Now if they approve most other projects at the same time we will have some traffic hell .... but after that it will be possible to really go almost everywhere by subway or skytrain :) making this city a much better place to stay!

I may be the odd out here, but I commute about 40 minutes each way to work, and among my coworkers, that is considered a short haul. I work with guys who commute via elaborate van pools and buses, sometimes 2+ hours each way. Mainly to buy cheaper houses, but still, you got to figure time and the cost are worth something...crazy what people do for a job...

You never read the reason for that Pom Michael???

This is the short version with some omissions:

Basically the city of Bangkok paid for that extension without a tender. Because Thaksin refused to have to government pay for it (Democrats ruled Bangkok than).

Then one bureaucrat didn't want to sign of on putting in rails, signals etc. because he was afraid his pension might get endangered as he might be accused of corruption if he signed of on it. They only found out after he was almost retired.

And then they had to start the procedure after that. So the concrete was ready, the signals and rails were not. It should open at the end of 2011 now.

W

I may be the odd out here, but I commute about 40 minutes each way to work, and among my coworkers, that is considered a short haul. I work with guys who commute via elaborate van pools and buses, sometimes 2+ hours each way. Mainly to buy cheaper houses, but still, you got to figure time and the cost are worth something...crazy what people do for a job...

This may seem like bullshit at first, but, it is entirely true. I once worked for a guy who commuted 10 hours a day.

I worked in midtown New York. This guy lived way out on Long Island. He had 5 kids. When he told his wife and kids he had a great job opportunity and wanted to move closer to Manhattan, they told him - best of luck, but, we are not moving.

He commuted on the Long Island Railroad - sure, he slept a couple of hours going and coming. But, what a life!! And, he worked OT as well. :surprised: :surprised: :surprised::surprised:

I lived maybe 5 miles (tops) from my job when I was in LA. If I drove it took about 45 minutes. I took the bus and it was about an hour and 20 minutes with connections. If it rained, I wouldn't drive. It took at least a 1.5 hours when it rained and anyone who knows how LA traffic is in rain won't blink an eye that it took 1.5 hours to drive 5 miles.

Bangkok will be better for it I suppose. If they don't build it won't it be worse in the long run? The problem may be that although it needs to be done, that governments usually do it in the most costly and time consuming way. Its the nature of almost all governments. The few times I've seen governments get off their asses and do things in a fairly progressive manner is when its for the Olympics or the World Cup. There is a time constraint and they have to do it right because the world is watching.

Planned growth, whereby things are done orderly according to public need never happens because the powers that be get the pols to approve things that serve them and not the public.

I'm turned off from large urban centers to live and work now. I'd avoid it if I can if its hard to get around, etc.

Archived