2 Police Officers and Suspect Killed During Miami Shootout

Bangkoktraveler

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why are those thick russians doing the nazi salute?....hitler thought they were sub human..

To prove Adolf was right? :dunno:

p.s. Ciudad Juarez was a delightful little city when I was growing up. What a change. :shocked:

Detroit has gone to hell because LK is no longer there to see that they raise the kids the right way. :cover:

As a kid I always heard about how touch NYC was and spent a lot of time there as a kid with cousins in Brooklyn.

Traveling around the country running track in college we always had someone on the team who were either from a city we visited or had a relative there since we recruited nationally.

I thought Philly was the worst. Even worse than a lot of parts of NYC. However, I saw areas of Chicago, Houston and other places that made me shudder. I recall visiting East St. Louis. Never heard of the place. Had a track meet near. St. Louis and a teammate from Chicago had a cousin there. I've rarely been to a city where the entire city was rought. Newark may possibly be the other one. It wasn't a large city but there were no parts of it that seemed even decent. All cities of a decent size has a 'good part of town'.

I saw some areas of Detroit as well that reminded me of Philly. My parents are retired near Miami and I have some relatives near it. Miami's worse spots are truly in a league of its own. Anything and everything can happen at any time. You have the regular run of the mill American 'hood that you'll find in any American city but you also have the foreign element in Miami. The cuban and latino areas as well as Haitian areas. They look imposing as well. You know when you're in Little Haiti, Liberty City, etc.

There are also nice, 'quiet', middle class areas that can erupt in violence because you're living next to a mid level drug dealer who makes enough to move into your nice middle class area and he is a target for someone and he and/his house gets shot up or the DEA has just made a dawn raid (always at dawn) to nab him with helicopters, etc. above.

However, once I started traveling. Especially to Asia and central and south America I saw poverty in a new light. I once thought I grew up poor UNTIL I visited 3rd world countries. I had a friend from LA, who grew up in Watts who came with me in '06 to PP Cambo. His first int'l trip. He grew up with 5 brothers, single mom, on public aid, etc. The all too often usual in LA. He was flabergasted at the poverty and lke me, never looked at his upbringing as bad as he thought it was.

Poverty and low income is never good but even the housing projects in America have color tvs and the parking lots all have cars and a lack of parking space is a major issue. You won't starve, food stamps, etc. exist and while you may not have the best food, as far as I know very few if any people are starving. So, although a country as rich as America perhaps shouldn't have the poverty it has, the low income is far better off than what I've seen.

I worked with a gal from India years ago. She had studied in the US and said she didn't see any "poverty" at all there. She also said the slum dwellers in Bangkok would be envied in India. They had a roof over their head, plenty to eat and clothes to wear. The kids went to school and got some sort of an education. In India you have people living on the streets, using a cardboard box for shelter and not knowing where their next meal will come from. Khun Prateep, the "slum angel" who started schools for Thai kids unable to get an education (Thai-born to illegal immigrants), was able to visit the "slums" of the USA - in Detroit, NYC etc. She said what Americans called slums looked pretty good to her. People had decent enough housing, drove cars, owned a TV etc.

Everything is relative.

Everything is relative and although America's poor are better off than the 3rd world poor, I would still submit that your country's poor should be seen in relation to the society they live in. So, in that respect, America may not be doing a good job with the amount of poor we have and their standard of living (health care, infant mortality rate, education, etc) compared to the general populace.

Also, generally, when I have heard others, europeans in particularly say how dangerous America is I often find they have never visited America. Those that have visited America and spent any modicum of time in the states don't see it as more dangerous and even relatively safe. America is a vast country. There are Americans in places like Montana that hold the same views as Europeans about the safety of cities like NYc and Los Angeles.

I lived in a section of south LA that was very safe. A few blocks east they sold crack. You'd never know by the looks of my area as it was a bedroom community. Working and middle class families where I rented a house. In a lot of areas its the pockets of bad areas. In NYC there are people in areas of Queens, Staten Island and even parts of the Bronx (north Bronx, van Cortland park area) that hold the same views about Harlem and Brooklyn that everyone usually does and think its a lot worse than it may be. Same in LA in the San Fernando valley and even west LA and the beach communities about south Central.

It has less to do with who has less shekels and more to do with who feels that they are entitled to take what they dont have at birth. The Fifty-cent 'Get Rich or Die Trying' ethos. When kids are killing kids for a pair of basketball shoes, you know you have a problem.

I guess I havent been to the hardcore Thai venues that several in this thread tell me exist, although I did see a stabbing victim carted off in a taxi outside one club, but I'd really like to see stats that support the notion that Bangkok has more violent crime (indoors and on the street) than cities like Atlanta and Detroit.

Archived