Excellent Italian Dining

Have a yearning for decent Italian cuisine? I found it. Actually, the food was fabulous. Please oblige me to "promote" this place because it deserves to be promoted. The resteraunt is called "Papa Alfredo's Italian Resteraunt". It's located on Rama 4 in the U Chu Liang building. It's in back of the building so just wander around towards the back.

My friend T had seen a promo for 10% discount at the resteraunt if you had a California Fitness membership in some newsletter. We decided to give it a go since he'd heard from another friend that it was decent Italian fare. So me, T, and our significant others ventured out for some I-talian food.

What we ordered: We ordered standard American/Italian fare (Spaghetti bolognese, Lasagna, Chicken Parmigiana, and stuffed shitake mushrooms for appetizer) The chicken parmigiana wasn't breaded like I'm used to but it was compensated with heaps of mozerella! All the dishes were excellent. T and my favorite was the Lasagna. We have a "little italy" in San Francisco, and this place is far better than ALOT of those resteraunts.

Note: The cuisine "could" be classified as american/italian since it had heaps of sauce. Authentic italian dishes use sauces sparingly. Another premise is that the owner did his homework. Realizing that so-called italian eateries/pizzerias use sauces sparingly and that Thais would have to ADD KETCHUP to their pizzas, the dishes prepared at Alfredo's were adequately sauced. The portions you get are humungous! It is called "family-style" cuisine and it's because when you order one dish, you have to share it since no one person could eat the lot. For two people, one main dish and an appetizer would be MORE than enough. They actually had pizzas on the menu. We've gotta try their pizzas the next time.

Pricing: This place is fine dining. For pastas the prices were about 200-250bt. Tuscan steak was around 4 or 500 if I remember correctly.

The mood/atmosphere of this place was enhanced with some upbeat jazz music in the background. We were seated next to the kitchen wall which had a peakaboo window. The kitchen was IMACULATE. The only thing on the floor was a bit of flour.

When we paid the bill, the owner of this place came by to introduce himself. He said that we were the first ones to have come for the promotion. We chatted a bit and complented his excellent execution of italian cuisine. He spoke fluent english, extremely gracious, and told us he was from Malaysia. Actually, this was his first resteraunt of any kind. Well, he did it flawlessly. His head chef is from Sicily so it's REAL italian food I guess. tongue.gif

The place is a bit of a pain to get to. Actually, it isn't that difficult. Hop in a taxi and get to rama 4 and it's in the same building as the big ass "Fuji japanese resteraunt" on rama 4. I'm sure the owner has a hard time getting clientele since the resteraunt isn't visible at all from the road. Basically, you have to seek out this place if you want to go. If this resteraunt was in Emporium or MBK, it would be a packed house. They just have a crappy locale.

Anyone have a hankering for good italian food? Trust me, check this place out, it's worth the 10 minute or so taxi ride.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmm that sounds great - will check it out, thanks.

Best Italian I've encountered in Bkk is LaPiola, either on Suk 11 or 13 (I think 11 but don't hold me too that).

The chef is an elderly Italian Grandmother and the waiting staff her family. It is very good Italian food - proper Mozzarella di Buffala, Carpaccio's, Brezaola's, Parma, Olives, Grana Padano and a myriad of other genuine imported Italian fayre - it is highly recommended if you want to see proper Italian food.

LaPiola is very very small - only 6 tables I think with the kitchen open to the restaurant. Would suggest you book ahead. By mutual consensus of many people I know in Thailand it seems to be agreed that it is the best and most authentic Italian in Bkk.

Hi Sparky,

you know a good Italian restaurang in Pattaya too?

I remember one Italian restaurang - but of course not the name and address - probably in 2nd Rd (south of Central Pattaya Rd).

elef

Hi,

my favorite is MAXX on Soi Postoffice. Well its not that fancy, but the food is good and the prices are fair. Next door there is a Beer-Bar where you can order from the restaurant too, so you can enjoy a good (Italian)meal and have the dessert right at hand wink.gif. I also was trying an Italienrestaurant wich was one or two sois past Soi Diamond (forget the name, sorry) but i cant recomand it because what i ordered was not impressive and the Capuccino was really bad, the pasta i had were OK though.

mupfel

In Pattaya, try Little Italy just across from the Royal Garden Shopping Center. Also, La Gritta near the Amari is good (there is also one in Bangkok).

The Italian restaurant in the building in which I live here in Bangkok (Chateau de Bangkok) is very good too, but my favorite is Biscotti's in The Regent Hotel. It is not that expensive either. Finally, honorable mention to L'Opera, De Meglio's, and 43 (on Lang Suan).

But, the burning question I have to ask, is what the ^%$&!! could a guy named Sparky know about good Italian food? Hell, if this was a Giorgio, or a Mario, or maybe Salvadore. But, Sparky??? Shouldn't you be riding around on a fire truck somewhere? laugh.gif

Well I've never been to italy, but the BEST pizza I've ever had in my life was in Phuket off Patong not far from that main gogo bar soi. Italian operated, and there was even some italian tourists outside trying to get others to go inside saying how it was the best food on the beach. Anyway, they had carrots on the pizza, which is something I'd never heard of, or even contemplated, as an american. Anyway, it was awesome. And speaking of pizza, there was a swedism restaurant which served banana and curry pizza. Sounds strange but it went down very well.

Archived