Has the era of "old timers" passed now ?

torrenova

A lot of retired US military live in Issan, Air Farce mainly - married Issan gals when stationed here in the 1960s and '70s. But I taught one student whose father was a retired WWII and Korean War US Marine. The guy had married a cute young gal in Nong Khai when he was in his 60s! He didn't reach a very old age, but he had a lot of fun in his final years.

I guess, if it is a place you constantly stay at you don't see the place for what it really is, the reality fades into good memories and of bygone days. The eternal question of staying in one place or to keep moving like a rolling stone :beer:

"Home is Where The Heart Is", no?

HH

I guess' date=' if it is a place you constantly stay at you don't see the place for what it really is, the reality fades into good memories and of bygone days. The eternal question of staying in one place or to keep moving like a rolling stone :beer:[/quote']

"Home is Where The Heart Is", no?

HH

:yeahthat:

Plenty of old timers with many years in country living around the Surin area. Most are in villages and do not really get out into town much, nor do they party at night and hang around the various farang venues so much. I've met a few over the years and have been told about others farangs I know live near in their villages. Quite a few in their 70's and even 80's. Know a couple of Irishmen here both in their 80's. I imagine there are many more scattered about Isaan and Northern Thailand too.

Would be interesting to see a census poll with figures and areas of where the farang live, and ages and countries derived from. I'd bet these old timers would have some great Thailand stories to tell of their many years coming here and residing here.

Hear ya, when I stay in Bangkok I stay out at Suttisarn/Ladphrao, grab my usual room and have a beer with my 79 English neighbour. For an old fellow (mainly, not due to his age, but his mobility) he has a million and one stories to tell of his latest adventures in Bangkok since my last visit. Indeed, the old fellow's wife has just had a baby, now he is prancing around like a 21 year old :beer:

Yep, saw plenty of old codgers in the shopping centre at Udon Thani when I was there a few years back. Not so many in Chumphon, but I'm sure they live there too. When you think about it, as long as you have enough to subsist on for 20 or 30 years (!), life in an Asian backwater wouldnt be expensive (visa runs aside). I just dont know how many board members would be content with that life year after year.

Archived