Tell me about Khao San Road

TheCorinthian

Some of the restaurants in the spill over area to the west of Wat Chana Songkram have tasty waitresses, young students from commercial colleges mostly. A neighbour picked up a real cutie with ease - and he looks like Barney Rubble! :hmmm:

I think it is better than looking like Fred Flinstone :beer:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more thing about KSR -- beware of the professional thieves / drug-assisted robbers. That "good" KSR girl may turn out to cost you a lot more than you think.

One of my pals had his camera and passport stolen around KSR in the middle of the day.

Another one randomly hooked up with a sweet "good" girl, had a nice dinner with her and her friend... then took the girl home and woke up 14h later minus $2000 from his room safe (and a camera/phone/ipod). He's an old hand, speaks Thai and a non-drinker. Most expensive long time ever, and he didn't even get to have sex.

While this may happen anywhere, I never had any trouble at all with Sukhumwit or Pattaya freelancers... not even minor theft, and I had the pleasure of meeting quite a few of them.

woke up 14h later minus $2000 from his room safe (and a camera/phone/ipod). He's an old hand, speaks Thai and a non-drinker. Most expensive long time ever, and he didn't even get to have sex.

Thanks typedef - I'm one of the few here who maintain that this could happen to anyone, but the fact that he is a non-drinker knocked me for six. Never leave your drink unattended, even when you are sitting with Farangs. I have done things in Thailand that I would NEVER do in a Western entertainment district - as many have pointed out previously, its very easy to leave your brain at the airport. I guess the upside for your friend is that he DID regain consciousness, and with both kidneys intact.

Once when I was leaving Thailand for Cambodia, going by road, I arrived in Trat too late to make the border, so stayed in a hotel next to the bus station overnight. In the evening I explored the town on foot a bit, then got food at the market, headed back to my hotel room. The hotel seemed active with people back and forth in the hall, girls basically. Anyway, I just went to bed. Woke up in the morning to discover that my backpack was gone, which had my camera and passport inside. My wallet (with my atm card inside) strangely was still in my pants pocket, though they'd taken nearly all my cash. When I thought about the previous evening, my best guess was that the water left in my room had been drugged -- I do remember nodding off very quickly and soundly not long after getting back to the room, especially strange when back in Bangkok I had been regularly staying up quite late. Prime suspects in my mind were hotel staff.

So it can even happen when you don't even take anyone back to your room.

Once when I was leaving Thailand for Cambodia, going by road, I arrived in Trat too late to make the border, so stayed in a hotel next to the bus station overnight. In the evening I explored the town on foot a bit, then got food at the market, headed back to my hotel room. The hotel seemed active with people back and forth in the hall, girls basically. Anyway, I just went to bed. Woke up in the morning to discover that my backpack was gone, which had my camera and passport inside. My wallet (with my atm card inside) strangely was still in my pants pocket, though they'd taken nearly all my cash. When I thought about the previous evening, my best guess was that the water left in my room had been drugged -- I do remember nodding off very quickly and soundly not long after getting back to the room, especially strange when back in Bangkok I had been regularly staying up quite late. Prime suspects in my mind were hotel staff.

So it can even happen when you don't even take anyone back to your room.

Yes, you always need to be on your guard.

I personally would not have drank the water unless it was perfectly sealed and a modern commercial brand, then again, probably best to just buy your own water :beer:

The smoothest operators I have encountered were the bastards who stole my wallet in Guilin. Didnt feel so much as a finger brush against my hand as the thief intercepted my wallet somewhere between the counter and my jeans pocket. Incredibly empty feeling, standing in a pharmacy so far from home without your wallet - credit card back at the hotel saved me on that occasion. The moneybelt might be about as fashionable as the hat-with-ears, but its an accessory that I'm willing to endure from this point on.

Much nastier for my former workmates when the guy, a rather burly lad, was bustled into a Naples alleyway in broad daylight and robbed of everything in his pockets while his girlfriend watched helplessly. Surrounded by people waiting to get on a bus and no-one saw anything .....

Never lost anything in Asia, but a team of pickpockets took my wallet in Paris and I was robbed at knife point in front of my apartment, when I was living in the center in the former capital of Germany (with the highest police density in Germany at that time).

Archived