Libya

Hugh_Hoy

Well I agree the thread is supposed to be about Libya. But it didn't take long to get into US military history. You mentioned N.Korea as an example of a country with no oil. Now you want to bring MacArthur into it....Flash will be along soon to talk about corncob pipes.

I was just using the Japanese reactor of an example of how quickly the headlines can change.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find the images of the fighting at Bin Jawad and Ras Lanuf rather surreal.

I worked at that refinery back in 1987 and seeing ongoing battles on the roads I used to drive up and down everyday and the refinery in flames bring it home to me.

Hmm, I'm starting to see a pattern ....

Incidentally anybody still interested in what's going on in Libya would do well to read this article by William Pfaff...

http://www.williampfaff.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=509

Also interesting are the traditional tribal rivalries in Libya...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb6511/is_4_44/ai_n28948866/

Pfaff's essay is an interesting read. Not necessarily instructive or providing any new information. While I agree with his major thesis (best to stay the "f" away), I might disagree with a couple of his supporting statements. Yeah, I know: he knows more than I do about ME affairs (so do millions of others 55555555555) Mai pen rai.

I'm sure there's more to the tribal matrix than the short synopsis provided in the second link. I'm hopeful that our bureaucrats are more fully educated on those alliances/animosities than the average folk. It MIGHT'VE influenced GWB's decision to invade Iraq (though I doubt it). And for the record, though I'm no peacenik, I was never in favor of invading Iraq.

HH

Archived