Libya

Hugh_Hoy

That's what Americans said in 1939. :hmmm:

Maybe in 1939, but by mid-1941 the US was making full-scale preparations for entering World War II.

Background: The UT Austin main library has (or at least had) a collection of "Popular Science" magazine that went all the way back to Vol. 1, Number 1. I'd been a subscriber for several years when I started at UT, and having qualified for a stack pass (it was a closed-stack library at the time), when I discovered it, I started reading my way forward from very early in the 20th century. I quickly found I didn't have time to read each and every issue, so I read the articles I was interested in, and skimmed the rest.

The leadup to World War II was interesting. It became immediately obvious that we were getting ready for SOMETHING. By summer 1941, it was obvious.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roosevelt was doing his best to drag the US into the European war. Not only was he transfering older destroyers to the Royal Navy, but the US Navy and Coast Guard were guarding convoys to Britain - and attacking U-boats on sight! (Of course, in the press the u-boats always attacked first "without provocation".) An American PBY flying out of England had spotted the Bismark and radioed her position to the RN.

Still, FDR would have been farked after Pearl Harbor if Hitler hadn't gone barmier than usual and DECLARED WAR on the US. If Adolf hadn't, FDR would have found himself fighting a Pacific war without allies, whilst the European war went on without him.

Everyone seems to have known the US was going to get into a war. It just wasn't clear which one. Bizarrely, the US is the only country Hitler ever declared war on.

You mean the TAP Hugh? It's definitely somebody's pipe dream. Course the pesky Taliban have fucked it up but they will come around eventually I'm sure after a few more surges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Afghanistan_Pipeline

North Korea is about keeping the nukes capped.

And why would Ghadaffi be scared of US airstrikes? Unilateral action is a non-starter. Unless of course Sarkozy has something up his sleeve.

The French...man, it ain't April Fools Day yet! The frogs made us fly around France's airspace last time the U.S. made a run at Libya.

The Corinthian was right. Time for the Euros to take the lead. They have more interest in Libyian tranquility than the U.S. No matter who, if anybody, intervenes in the current mess, oil prices will effect everybody. It's the only real common denominator right now. Europe will have it's beaches taken up by refugees if they don't act. Anyway, I think the rebels have "had it" without outside intervention.

HH

...North Korea is about keeping the nukes capped...

Forgot to say that capping wouldn't be an idea if MacArthur had had his way 60 years ago. If Truman hadn't had his Administration packed with commies (China sympathizers) :stirthepo , Truman might've had the balls to drop a dozen or two A-bombs on China befoe it rode to the rescue of NK. My...how that might've changed some things. No VN war, for instance?

Should we scoop the newsies and pre-emptively start a thread to discuss Japan's nuke facilty blowing it's stack?

HH

Archived