Thai Airways to Offer Flights from Suvannabhumi to Don Muang

preahko

This is priceless. Reminds me of the time--back in the 1980s, if memory serves--that I had a cross-USA flight that involved me beginning at San Francisco Airport and--no shitting--transferring about 8 minutes later, when we touched down at Oakland, just across the Bay.

Given that the most (only?) dangerous portion of jet travel is the take-off and landing, that was by far the most dangerous flight I ever took, since it was ALL take-off and landing.

Though I gotta say, given some of my flights on barely-populated Thai Airways 747s flying from Don Muang to Chiang Mai in the old days, this "news item" is not quite as preposterous as it initially sounds...

THAI Begins Flights From Don Muang To Suvarnabhumi

New service aimed at foreigners who went to wrong airport by mistake

BANGKOK – Thai Airways today announced the launch of service between Bangkok’s Don Muang Airport and Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport. Beginning April 30, passengers can fly six times daily from one side of Bangkok to the other in under an hour.

“Last year alone we had over 10,000 passengers who went to the wrong airport by mistake, only to discover that they were in danger of missing their flight,†said a THAI spokesperson. “Now they can simply fly to the correct one and make an easy connecting flight through the transit lounge.â€

By checking into the intra-airport flights, passengers will have their baggage checked all the way through to their final destination, as well as have their place on their connecting flight secured.

Using small, propeller-driven ATR-72 planes, the intra-city flights will take off once every two hours from 6am to 6pm, and make the return trip one hour later. The actual flying time is about four minutes and 30 seconds.

Link

Archived