Lottery loser(s)

Steve

About 5 years ago at a Kaiser facility in Orange County there were several lab techs and admin people who won a multi-million jackpot from a ticket purchased in an office pool. Ironically, there were '7' also. I didn't know any of these cats but I knew several people who worked at the site.

Not long after they won -- the lawsuits started, all basically from co-workers who said they had a 'verbal agreement' to be part of the pool.

Interestingly, they (those not part of purchasing the winning ticket) all lost in court. And if memory serves, one of the attorneys involved got hit with a fine for bringing baseless claims and had to pay the legal fees for the original winners.

The problem with tossing this guy a bone is that in some ways it gives him credibility and could encourage others. If there was no risk of that and would make him go away --> then sure.

Note: I don't think the guy is an idiot for not playing, statistically there are millions of people that choose not to play the lottery every day and make the right choice.

But, not all of them. :)

I don't think he has a 'right' to any money per se, but that situation would suck.

Good point. Then have him sign some legal document saying he won't file a lawsuit.

I don't think he has a right either but I'd feel bad if it was a friend from work. I would assume they are all friendly and possibly good friends.

As for the lump sum. Normally, for that amount I wouldn't opt for a lump sum. I'd get the annuity payout but in today's world, I'd take the lump sum EVERY time. I have become such a cynical, suspicious rat bastard, I would have a very serious fear that the state wouldn't pay out after some time if things got bad enough economically.

So, while 19 mil is a far cry from what they should be getting, I say take the money and run. Run out of the U.S. Hide that money in some secret bank account somewhere, at least some of it and get out of dodge.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahhh each, still 19 million, would it hurt to each give him 200k?

As long as we are talking Vietnamese Dong, NG ;)

Did you see that some our brill economists are predicting that the AUD will reach 1.10US by the end of the year ? Might as well kiss our export industry goodbye and just build bigger airports to fly tourists to Asia. A country that produces nothing other than a strong currency runs the risk of becoming Singapore.

Since that loser is going to have to live the rest of his life as "the person that lost out on a share of $300 million," he ought to cash in on it and contact the people that run the lottery and get paid to be a spokesman for the lottery/doing their commercials. He's the perfect spokesman for the lottery's slogan "you can't win if you don't play."

Archived