Lottery loser(s)

Steve

I don't care what this guy says. He's pissed as hell. His wife and family are thinking he's the biggest idiot if they haven't told him to his face already.

When ever we had those things at the office, I joined for the sole reason of not wanting to be left out if we won.

On another note, I recall when there was this mega jackpot that different departments were buying into as a pool, our SVP recommended that the company ask employees if in the event they won, that they'd agree to a transitional period if they decided to quit their job.

He said we were at risk of losing entire departments if they won within a couple days or weeks.

He was right.

Here is my question to you all. Would you agree as a group to give the guy some money and if so, how much would you give. My vote? Hmmm...I'd throw him a 10k bone. Unless its an equal share, he'll be better. Even a mil and he'll be somewhat resentful is my guess (they can easily afford a mil amongst them).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110401/ts_yblog_thelookout/heres-why-you-should-always-buy-in-to-your-office-lottery-pool

Kosko is an employee of the New York Homes and Community Renewal agency in Albany, which has lately been the subject of feverish press attention after seven of its employees learned yesterday that they had won a $319 million Mega Millions jackpot. Michael Kosko works in the same office in Albany, and was hit up for a $2 contribution to the pooled lottery funds his coworkers were pulling together. After all, he'd always agreed to join in the office ritual in the past.

This time, though, he balked. Checking his cash reserves, Kosko discovered that he didn't have any singles on him, and even though one of his co-workers offered to spot him a couple of bucks, he chose not to participate. Besides, as he told the New York Post, they never won anything anyway.

Glad this guy lost out and I would love to know who the rude sap is. The article is right...karma is a bitch.

As it turns out, Kosko and his co-workers who chose not to buy in to the lottery pool aren't the only unlucky ones in this whole saga. There's also the guy who cut Mike Barth--the employee assigned to buy the tickets--in the line at Coulsons News Center in Albany.

"I was at the counter. It was my turn to buy a ticket when I reached down to grab a Snickers bar from the candy display and someone reached over me, actually cut in front of me to buy a ticket," recalled Barth at the announcement ceremony. "I thought about saying something but decided to just let it slide. I bought the next ticket … the winning ticket."

Karma is a ... well, you know what it is.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can sympathise with the guy, but it was his choice. Suppose I look at a lottery ticket and decide not to "waste the money" Then the ticket wins. Well, tough tittie. If the guy had problems with bills and I was suddenly loaded with money, I'd certainly help him. But any money you give him otherwise is likely to be seen as rubbing it in his face. :dunno:

Rub my face in it then :) If on the winning team I'd suggest we all kick him in, who could you even spend that much? But thing with USA lotteries they don't pay the amount as a lump sum, rather the total over 20 years, so even if everyone kicked in $'s, would they keep doing it year after year? I'd do it once, make it a decent amount, then say ok - that's it, being ameri$a you'd want him to sign he won't sue you piece of paper before you did that though.

Depends on the game and state. Many lotteries now-a-days in the states allow for a lump sum settlement, usually for a lesser amount than the 'over time' annual payments.

I think virtually all the lotteries now will give you a lump sum cash amount equal to whatever it cost for them to buy the annuity that would pay out over the 20 years that the advertised amount.

With interest rates rather low these days, it is not much less then the total cash amount.

TH

Archived