ATM Networks

Planning to bring the bulk of my funds for my first trip to LOS via ATM account. While I've found that cirrus and Star networks are accepted in Bangkok (and many other places)I cannot find info on specific networks accepted in Pattaya. It's not listed on the Cirrus site. Anyone have experience on using ATM's in Pattaya and know what networks are accepted?

Thanx

Cirrus and Star machines are also available in Pattaya. I have never had a problem using ATM in LOS. One suggestion, since you will be relying on your ATM, you may want to have 2 separate accounts, from 2 separate sources. Just in case you lose one card, and have to cancel it, you will have the second as a back up and not be stuck without cash. Doing so can prevent problems should you lose a card.

quote:

Originally posted by intrepidtravlr:

Planning to bring the bulk of my funds for my first trip to LOS via ATM account. While I've found that cirrus and Star networks are accepted in Bangkok (and many other places)I cannot find info on specific networks accepted in Pattaya. It's not listed on the Cirrus site. Anyone have experience on using ATM's in Pattaya and know what networks are accepted?

Thanx

Hi,

I used my Cirrus card with absolutely no problem at all in Pattaya. Found that a lot of times I had communication error appear at Bangkok ATM's

Hi,

"Found that a lot of times I had communication error appear at Bangkok ATM's"

Happens a lot to me as well. I am using a VISA card though.

It is usually not related to any specific bank though, and can be quite a pain in the ass. The next day (or sometimes even an hour or two later) it usually works again though.

The moral of this, I suppose, is to keep some backup money.

Sanuk!

Sometimes the amount can be the problem ans the authorization channel gets screwed up.

Sometimes it allows u to take out lots of smaller amounts rather than the same amount in one go, if u are charged by transaction, work it out with your bank when you get back, they should consolidate into one withdrawl fee if it looks genuine

All--

I agree with Old hippie and (or course) with Sanuk... While most all the ATM's you find in Thailand will accept your cirrus network cards, it would be a VERY wise move to have TWO seperate cards from two SEPERATE accounts... Let me speak from personal experience on this issue (while in BKK)...

I used my ATM card (accessing my checking account in Florda) at the Bangkok Bank ATM in the lobby of the Fortune Center... Well, of course, the machine "ate" my card.. We all know that when a card get "eaten" by a machine, the machine will'shut down' and then needs to have the card physically removed by a bank tech or similar...

Well, I immediately called Bangkok Bank's main branch and told them about this situation.. They were quite apologetic, but said that it would be tomorrow (at the earliest) that someone could come to remove my card and re-set the machine... I thought that I would be OK since (thinking I am sooo smart) I had ANOTHER card to access this SAME account! HA!

Well... I called the bank in Flordia and told them about the jammed card in Thailand and I asked them to "cancel" out that specific card.. She asked me if I needed a new card ASAP. I said to her "No rush I'll be ok since I have another card with me to access this same account" ...

Suprise! The rep said "once we block your ATM card, it cancels ALL cards to access this account until you received your NEW card in the mail from us" WHAT??? "Yes, sir, your old card won't work either. We only allow one access card per account, unless you have more than one person named on the account like a joint account or similar. Sorry, Thank you for banking with NationsBank of Florida good bye!" click...

After this UGLY scene, I now have (and carry) TWO ATM cards that each access a different US based account. I also have a small TFB account and ATM card for it, PLUS I keep a few $$ in travellers checks (just in case) [some may accuse me of going overboard on this]

I can do just fine without a lot of things, but my passport and some money just aren't two of them!

My motto... be prepared for the worst.. at some point it will happen!

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by BadaBing:

While on this topic , could someone tell me what denomination the bills are in the atm's in thailand and also what is the MAX amount that can be withdrawn. My atm card here in LA allows me max $300.00 per day and the bills are 20's.

BadaBing

The notes are in denominations of 100, 500 and 500B My ATM (Bangkok Bank)card allows 40,000B per day

Ric's right about the denominations; most Thai ATMs are loaded with all three. But how much you can take per transaction and per day vary by bank and by branch.

For example, the TFB ATM near my digs will only give up 20,000 baht at a time, but you can have as many transactions a day as you want. The Bangkok Bank will give me up to 40,000 a day, lump-summed.

Oddest thing I've seen is another bank, I forget which, that will only give me one transaction per day on the weekends, with a maximum of 15 banknotes. So I can have 15,000 or 14,500 or 14,100 or 13,500 or 13,200 or 13,100... Painfully weird, but I can see the logic.

If your account is capped at US$300 a day, that's a shade over 13,000 baht. You shouldn't have any trouble maxing at any ATM where your card will work at all.

If you get hit with a flat-fee, it's more cost-effective to max every time. But you knew that already.

Archived