AIS Aircard

gawguy

Today a little Thai friend gave me an AIS Aircard which she got free on "proo-moo-scion", 1,800 minutes. Has 1-2-Call SIM inside the USB stick / dongle or whatever it is. It's lifespan is over in about two weeks, no fault of friend as I just arrived and she gave it to me post haste.

I'm using it to post this. Does anyone have any experience with such a thing?

What is the internet security? I have Norton Internet Security running, but I'm curious to know if when using a phone network like this, is it more or less vulnerable than other internet connection types?

This one has 3G written on it, which I guess is why it's so slow. Slightly faster than a telephone modem connection it seems. 237 kbs. Ouch!

I was thinking of putting some money on it and using it for when I just want to email and don't want to go to internet shop (which are now surprisingly fast - 12 mbps or so. They've upped the speed and some are running Win7.)

Is this worth it? Is there a variation that's more bang for the buck. Am I paying the same per minute as with my 1-2-Call phone? Oye, that would be expensive.

I would much appreciate any light you could shed.

Thanks...Gaw Guy

AFAIK 3G is not widely available in LOS ( apart from some places in Bangkok and maybe Patts )which might explain why its running slow .I use one of those 3g dongles here in Farangland and the cost of data is much cheaper than mobile phone rates.How much do those air cards cost ?and do they need topping upevery month ?...

I suggest you go grab a drink somewhere. :beer:

Yes...exactly! I only want to use this thing in my room, so I just go to a webpage, then do something else for a couple of minutes.

I see the other post that this is not a 3g network, and that's the problem. The card has "3g, 3.6mbps" printed on it. The card can do it but the network can't.

But in general if I just want to chk email or T360 and there's no hurry...it's okay I guess.

Thanks for response and ... anything else I need to know?

Gaw Guy

Using a Novotel wireless dongle up in the villages on Srisaket right now. It uses a CAT CDMA connection.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1251239157.png

Works fine for what I'm doing - even able to connect quick enough to my work desktop via Teamviewer - so I'm happy with it.

No idea of the cost - the hotel/guest house I'm staying at lent it to me.

Cheers@

Using a Novotel wireless dongle up in the villages on Srisaket right now. It uses a CAT CDMA connection.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1251239157.png

Works fine for what I'm doing - even able to connect quick enough to my work desktop via Teamviewer - so I'm happy with it.

No idea of the cost - the hotel/guest house I'm staying at lent it to me.

Cheers@

This one has 3G written on it, which I guess is why it's so slow.

Good joke. Yes 3G means slow in Thailand, especially if your provider name is AIS or DTAC. You are only getting EDGE speeds with AIS unless your travel close to AIS towers in HuaHin, Cholburi, Chiang Mai or Korat. ( http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3G_coverage-speed.html )

True Move has more 3G coverage in Bangkok and key tourist spots so could be considered the best bang for buck these days albiet on a different freq to AIS and maybe your USB stick. TOT has 3G coverage in Bangkok. If you are in Bangkok and the USB stick is unlocked then try swapping out the AIS SIM to TOT to get up to 3G speed as both use 900MHz. True works on a different freq of 850Mhz.

Out of the big cities only CAT CDMA will do for now until Real Move catches on, whenever that may be.

thats cheap enough .....but it means having to bring my laptop....I'd rather just use my fone for e-mails and netshops for routine stuff.Anyone know how the net works with AIS ? Is it pay per day/month using the ordinary sim that you can buy from the corner shop...

Archived