The Word For The Day - "Dhimmitude"

cavanami

Not to worry, Ahmedgingerbread says the 13th Imam is about to return and will climb out of a well accompanied by Jesus and the Great Pumpkin. Jesus will announce that He is a Muslim and then will kill all the Christians, Jews and other infidels and non-believers. We probably won't live long enough to need insurance. Oh, well. :dunno:

You are all wrong :)

[color:black]"Seeks immortality

In some versions, small birds like the fantail accompanied MÄui on his quest to win immortality for humankind.

MÄui now considers himself ready to win immortality for humankind. His father tries to dissuade him, predicting that he will fail because of the mistakes in his baptismal ceremony. His father says to him, “My son, I know that you are a brave fellow and that you have done all things. Yet I am afraid that there is someone who will defeat you.â€

“Who could that be?†asks MÄui. “Your ancestress Hine-nui-te-pÅ (Great woman of the nightworld). You can see her flashing there on the horizon.†“Is she as strong as the sun?†asks MÄui. “I trapped him and beat him. Is she greater than the sea, which is greater than the land? Yet I have dragged land from it. Now let us see whether we will find life or death.â€

His father answers, “You are right, my last-born, and the strength of my old age. Go, find your ancestress who lives at the side of the sky.â€

“What does she look like?†asks MÄui.

“The red flashing in the western sky comes from her,†says the father. “Her body is like a human being, but her eyes are greenstone, her hair sea-kelp, and her mouth is like a barracouta's mouth†(Biggs 1966:449).

MÄui, undaunted, sets out westward, with his companions, to the home of Hine-nui-te-pÅ. In some versions, his companions are the smallest birds of the forest, the tomtit, the robin, the grey warbler, and the fantail. In other versions, the companions are his brothers.

[color:red]He finds Hine asleep with her legs apart and he and his companions see sharp flints of obsidian and greenstone between her thighs. “Now,†MÄui tells his friends, “when I go into the body of this old woman, do not laugh at me. Wait until I come out again from her mouth. Then you may laugh as much as you want.â€[/color]

“You will be killed!†was all the companions could say.

“If you laugh I will indeed be killed. But if I pass right through her body I will live, and she will die.â€

Then he readied himself, winding the cord of his battle club tightly round his wrist and casting aside his garment. As MÄui began his task, the cheeks of his watching friends puckered with suppressed laughter. As his head and arms disappear, one of his brothers - or the fantail - can hold back no longer and bursts out laughing.

The old lady wakes, opens her eyes, claps her legs together and cuts MÄui in two. Now MÄui has become the first being to die and, because he has failed in his task, all human beings are mortal. The goddess keeps her position at the portal to the underworld through which all humans must travel (Biggs 1966:449-450, Tregear 1891:234)."[/color]

the real story

Archived