Thailand can no longer celebrate freedom of speech

Coss

By The Nation

Published on May 4, 2011

This country was once a beacon of free speech in the region; unfortunately, in the wake of recent government crackdowns, that is no longer the case.

World Press Freedom Day, marked yesterday, normally would signify an occasion to celebrate the country's freedom of media and expression. After all, Thailand used to be a beacon of free speech in Southeast Asia. However, the political polarisation of the past few years has literally given a black eye to the Thai media landscape, dividing the media community, be it in print or electronic, right down the middle.

It is very sad that this year the media situation in Thailand is not at all good. Indeed, there is very little we can be proud of. Somehow, the concerned Thai authorities, especially those in the "security" sectors, now view the media as enemies of the state, with all forms of crackdowns and prejudices in operation, particularly on the Internet and community radio. In theory, these two areas should expand the democratic space within the country. However, as it has turned out, they have become a battlefield in the fight for freedom of expression and media freedom.

The recent closure of over a dozen community radio stations and hundreds of websites are indicative of the Thai authorities' rudimentary understanding regarding the role of the media in society. The powers that be tend to react in a knee-jerk fashion to anything they deem as inappropriate, especially content or speech that touches on sensitive issues, including the monarchy.

What they rarely do is to explain to the public their reasoning or give proper warning of what their targets are accused of. This is not first time that the authorities have clamped down. Over the last three years, this has become a pattern, which does not augur well for the development of freedom of expression in this country.

Obviously some community radio operators are provocateurs, wanting to stir up a hornets' nest in order to gain wider media attention. Some are political agents disguised as commentators or media personalities. The dubious standards among community radio operators have made matters worse. In other countries, community radio stations are supposed to provide useful information, and are run by informed members of those communities; they generally do not encourage hate or political bias.

Sad but true, the whole freedom of expression debate in Thailand has been ruined in part because of the official attitude toward the lese majeste law. There have been an increased number of crackdowns on Internet sites in the past few months, especially those that contain images negative to the Thai monarchy. Officials argue that they have to shut down these websites otherwise they themselves could be punished, because they view these materials as a threat to national security.

It is about time that the concerned authorities - especially from the information technology, justice and security sectors - got together and worked out clear rules as soon as possible - so that everybody, especially media practitioners, can understand what is permissible and what isn't. Otherwise, Thailand will become a banana republic as far as freedom of expression is concerned. This is urgent because it will have far-reaching implications for the country and its constitutionally based monarchy.

In the current climate of insecurity, the government of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has come under heavy criticism from regional and international free media advocacy groups. Over the past two years, he has been speaking out in support of a free media. He has constantly argued that improved media with professional attitudes and responsibilities are pivotal ingredients that will promote democracy, help heal our divided society and bring long-term prosperity to the nation.

However, there are people out there who do not heed these words, and indeed try to undermine this goal at every turn. What is happening to and among the media now is quite contrary to this aim.

Link

But there are plenty of other things to celebrate in Thailand. :beer:

p.s. If there really were no freedom of speech, The Nation could not have written this editorial. Furthermore, I expect it was written (or at least heavily edited) by a Farang. The English is far above the usual Nation Thaiglish standards. :hmmm:

As a result of some fringe association on a professional level I know that the community radio station closures are driven by their complete ignorance of technical matters and the degree of interference that these stations cause to aviation communication. The degree of technical ignorance of these stations is only bettered by that of the controlling bodies that allowed the situation to arise in the first place.

Free speech in Thailand is still there and is really unchanged. The laws on lese majeste are basically unchanged. What has changed is that in past few years there as been a huge increase in people posting insulting material on the internet and to a lesser extent in print and radio media.

I am not sure if an increase in material that is often clearly against a long standing law and the follow on enforcement is really a decrease in freedom of speech.

TH

No real free speech here in Isaan.

I hear incredible whispered stories in my village no one would believe if there were no LM laws in this country.

I shake my head in disbelief and shut up, for a good reason.

As a side note, I think chances are high the red will win the most seats, doubt that will improve Thai (life) politics though

People want free speech, such as they had when Thaksin got a Bangkok Post reporter fired and the editor demoted for daring to print a completely factual story about cracks in the runways at Swampypoom. The information was taken from studies by foreign inspectors.

Archived