Watch wot yer say online then...

Coss

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised to hear you talk like that Flash. This guy was a Thai who was Americanized, to his detriment back home. You're sounding like an American who's been Thai-ized.

Not going to elaborate out of respect to the Forum and local laws.

Just hypothetically -- If a law in the US was created making it illegal to criticize Obama, and a visitor wrote a piece that had a link to a critical site, and was subsequently arrested for that. Hmmmmm.

What is so surprising? This guy was not "a visitor". He is a native born Thai, is still considered a Thai citizen here and is subject to Thai laws, whether he likes them or not.

Say anything you want about Thailand, translate and post material that could be considered violating the lese majesty laws - when you are in the United States. But don't expect nothing to happen to you if you come back home again.

The guy stirred up the lion, poking it with a stick. Then he walked right into the lion's den. What did he think would happen?

:stirthepo

Now the story is on BBC and has been picked up by Drudge.

Certain countries you kind of know what you should not say.

In Singapore there are different lines you cross at your own risk:

"A British author will spend up to eight weeks in a Singapore jail after a court rejected his appeal against a conviction for contempt of court.

Alan Shadrake's appeal against a sentence of two months, meted out to him last November for what was described by the court as "scandalising" comments in his book, "Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice in the Dock, was rejected on Friday.

The 76-year-old was sentenced to six weeks' jail and a fine of $16,090 for comments about the Singapore judiciary.

The author said he could not pay the fine and would have to remain in jail for an additional two weeks.

"I expected the decision. I am very sorry for Singapore. I'm not sorry for myself," said the freelance journalist after the Court of Appeal, his last legal resort, upheld the sentence imposed by a High Court judge in November.

The British High Commission in Singapore said in a statement: "The British government attaches importance to freedom of expression around the world and we will continue to call on all countries, including Singapore, to recognise the right to freedom of expression as set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights."

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2011/05/2011527648641741.html

It is going to make the news because the guy is a naturalised US citizen. I hope they don't ignore the fact that he is also Thai. He can hardly plead ignorance.

The Brit is Singapore presumably is not a Sing citizen. I wonder what would happen if Singapore had a red shirt movement? :hmmm:

It is going to make the news because the guy is a naturalised US citizen. I hope they don't ignore the fact that he is also Thai. He can hardly plead ignorance

Does it matter? The LM laws represent a serious problem that needs to be fixed. Enforcement is up 1,500% since the coup. If a spotlight is fixed on LM laws and Cyber Crime Act because a US citizen was caught, and this leads to a serious re-assessment of these outdated and arbitrarily enforced laws, all the better.

Understood. But I think the LM laws are so unclear and enforced so much more aggressively than they were before that he could have been taken surprise. I don't know, and we probably we'll never know because any proceeding will be conducted secretly.

Archived