Watch wot yer say online then...

Coss

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we should change the heading to watch out where you click. Or watch out for what algorithms Google uses to post ads on your site?

As I write this reply, an advertisement from Amazon.com appears on the right corner of my screen - next to Flashermac's post. It would probably be appear above any post above this reply. Guess what book Amazon is promoting in its ad under the term "AFFILIATE".

It's the exact same one that...well, I guess I shouldn't say that. But it is.,, Ironic.

I am sure there no one intentionally placed a link to that \ book there, but it is there. If I click on that link, am I committing a crime? Is the appearance of that link - even if totally beyond the control of the webmaster - a crime?

Oh no, now the promoted book has changed to one about antibiotic ointments.

Trying to control access to information and criminalizing access to information in this day and age simply won't work. It simply creates too many problems.

Understood. But I think the LM laws are so unclear and enforced so much more aggressively than they were before that he could have been taken surprise. I don't know, and we probably we'll never know because any proceeding will be conducted secretly.

How are the LM laws unclear Gadfly?

If you are Thai you pretty much know from birth that disrespecting the monarchy can get you into serious trouble.

Hi,

"Clear as mud."

Agree. It is pretty much impossible to get a clear idea of what is and is not allowed as even providing examples would get a person arrested.

This whole law seems more meant to silence political dissent than to protect the monarchy.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Erring on the side of caution usually.

I can fairly well figure out what is definitely not allowed, but it is the grey area that is rather large. Even a comment that you and I might find fairly innocent or even funny could easily be considered lese majeste if someone had it in for this board / me. It is that, that is the biggest problem.

Sanuk!

Hi,

"Clear as mud."

Agree. It is pretty much impossible to get a clear idea of what is and is not allowed as even providing examples would get a person arrested.

This whole law seems more meant to silence political dissent than to protect the monarchy.

Sanuk!

If by political dissent you mean challenges or discussions on the influence of the monarchy, then I would agree.

But I would say that just every person charged with LM knows they had crossed the line and did it anyway. What I often see happening is people using the fact the people have been charged (often themselves) with LM in order to say that all political dissent is being silenced when nothing could be further from the truth.

Political discussions and criticism that do not include the monarchy are allowed and they certainly abound.

The people that wish to change how the monarchy is perceived in Thailand are just getting impatient, they need to wait and the discussions and changes will happen in time. There is little doubt that Thailand that in the long term is going to have to solve this problem, but now is not the time.

TH

Archived