Credibility of Thai Legal System

Gadfly

When a country fails to pay an international arbitration award, it looks bad. One of the main advantages of international arbitration is that the awards should be easy to enforce. This is basic. Thailand's failure to pay is not a normal or accepted "business" practice. It's an embarassment.

As I said earlier, watch it get paid as soon as Pheu Thai forms the government - so Takky can take credit for rescuing the plane. Takky dropped Abhisit into a bear trap, and he doesn't seem to know how to get his foot out of it.

What does Mr. T. has to do with it?

Guest HonoluluJimmy
As I recall, Thaksin when he was first about to become PM, was ACQUITTED by the court on the charge of fraud, despite solid evidence that he had hidden hundreds of millions of baht in bank accounts under the names of his maid, chauffeur, gardener, poodle, jingjok etc. Millions of baht are said to have changed hands in reaching that decision. Ironically, on the same day another man was convicted on the same charge for doing virtually the same thing. He mustn't have paid enough.

And remember the Pheu Takky lawyer who was arrested for leaving a bag of khanom (spiced with millions of baht) in the court room for the judges in another case? Guess what ... he is scheduled to become a Pheu Thai MP on the party list (as soon as he gets immunity).

If you are rich enough and powerful enough, you cannot be convicted in a Thai court. Unfortunately for the real amnart (the filthy rich Chinese-Thai businessmen), they are finding out that in the rest of the world their influence means didly squat. Takky himself found that out in the UK, when he brought in millions which he couldn't account for - and the UK govmt seized it.

Time for the "untouchables" to wake up and smell the coffee? :hmmm:

p.s. The discourging thing is that if you point out how corrupt Thaksin and other politicians are, Thais just shrug and accept it. They seem to expect their politicians to be lowlife bottom-feeders. :(

Shite, ther is a whole book about Thaksin and all the others. Nomionee's is a part of the application of law.

If you are rich enough and powerful enough, you cannot be convicted in a Thai court. Unfortunately for the real amnart (the filthy rich Chinese-Thai businessmen), they are finding out that in the rest of the world their influence means didly squat. Takky himself found that out in the UK, when he brought in millions which he couldn't account for - and the UK govmt seized it.

Time for the "untouchables" to wake up and smell the coffee?

:yeahthat: Excellent point. The world is getting smaller.

I think that Thailand is less corrupt than it was 10 years ago, but I also think the world has become considerably less tolerant of corruption. Takky and the Thai elite generally are behind the curve and bewildered by these changes. But, maybe having lived outside of Thailand since 2006, perhaps Takky now understands that? He is as crooked as they come, but he is certainly not stupid.

Gadfly = I agree

And what we are seeing is Takky and the Thai elite clinging to a raft of corrupt and dodgy practices, floating on a turbulent sea.

Unfortunately for the Thai people, they are too (generally) compliant to to make any significant changes to this situation.

As I have heard time and time again, from Thais, "they may be corrupt scum bags, but they are the best of the bunch", absolutely no thought, that this bunch could be turfed out and be replaced by honest people.

Archived