Dog meat

Boo Radley

I'd like to see some real data on that statement. I gotta tell you, most vegetarians I know are a sickly lot. We got sharp teeth for a reason. We are carniverous. Period. We were designed to be a meat-eating animal. Asians intake very little meat? Kobe beef in Japan...I could go on, but like I said, I'd like to see the 'meat' behind your statement. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"my pooying in Burriram regularly eats newly slaughtered meat raw!!"

And THAT is, for real, why liver fluke is the number one health problem in Isan. No joke.

Not doubting you here, but I have never seen dog as a food item in Korea. I heard all these wild stories about it, but never saw it. I was in Sakhon Nakhon this passed weekend, supposed home to dog eating. Again, I didn't see it. My hostesses assured me, it is all around though, snake as well. I have eaten it in the PI, a dish called Aso kilawin (sp) raw dog marinated in lemon or lime or kalamansy and seasoned with garlic etc... Also ate wild dog in the south west USA, not a big deal with me. I gues there is no point in drawing a line here, meat is food...

In reply to:

I gues there is no point in drawing a line here, meat is food...

Which brings me neatly back to my obsession with - no,no,no, curiosity of anthropophagy. wink.gif

So, OH , any good recipes for longpig ?

They still raise dogs in kennels in Korea for food. Same in Vietnam, PI, and China.

The first time I had kaegogi was on a pizza in Korea. I was tricked by a bargirl of course into thinking it was beef. smile.gif

Also, have had boshintang (dogmeat stew/soup) with the ex-father-in-law many times.

In '88 during the Olympics in Seoul, they downplayed dogmeat consumption in Korea. I think they attempted to do the same in Korea leading to the World Cup, but it has kinda backfired on them and a number of 'dogmeat eating groups' have garnered quite a bit of publicity in the Land of the Morning Calm.

I remember being in the PI a few years back when they banned the practice of raising dogs for food. One province in Luzon was particularly famous for it. You would have thought they banning free speech and religion the way they reacted. But I suppose it is all relative.

To the poster who requested a recipe for dog (long pig?) I understand it is best slow cooked in liquid, or marinated and grilled.

Archived