Photography Dslr Camera Lenses And Stuff...

Redbaron

Coss, I don't think your statement (i.e. a 50mm is a 50mm with no crop factor to consider) is correct. Tried researching it on the web but all very confusing. However Canon also make 2 types of lens EF and EF-S. The EF lenses can be used on both their full frame (digital or film) and crop sensor cameras but the EF-S lenses can only be used on their cropped sensor cameras (similar to Nikon DX format). However the crop factor still applies to the stated focal length of the EF-S lenses, e.g., I have an EF-S 10-22 but on my Canon 7D it is equivalent to 16-35. I don't think the Nikon DX lenses are any different in this respect. :unsure::confused:

My understanding is that a 50mm non DX NIkon lens is a 50mm on a full size sensor back (you would use 1.5 scale/crop on a regular DSLR)

and that a 50mm DX NIkon lens is a 50mm on a reduced size sensor found on most of their DSLR backs (no crop to consider)

Indeed, my 50mm 1.8 DX lens on my Nikon D300 appears to give me photos as I would expect from a 50mm, rather than a 75 mm lens.

Nikon do, do full size sensors on some DSLRs, I can 't remember the model numbers but they are the very very expensive ones Nikon D$$$

I could be completely wrong, but as at now this what I understand.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Nikon do, do full size sensors on some DSLRs, I can 't remember the model numbers but they are the very very expensive ones Nikon D$$$

As do Canon, long before Nikon did.

...I could be completely wrong, but as at now this what I understand.

Sorry Coss, but you are wrong.

PS The lens has got nothing to do with it, it's the sensor. Cropped sensor = cropped field of view. The lens focal length is what it says and doesn't change but the field of view of the lens is determined by the sensor so cropped sensor = cropped field of view.

coss and HH - thanks for the website links, just spent a few hours wading through the plethora of information there...

As the Canon vs Nikon debate in my head continues, the final 4 options (today) look like:

Canon EOS 550 or 600

Nikon 3100D or 5100D

In deciding which brand (C or N) today I'll simply have another go at them (the old guy at the local camera shop has been fantastic when it comes to this, and understands my indecisiveness) and see which one "feels" better. There are a lot of Canon promotions on at the moment, but I'm still leaning towards the Nikon 5100, and even with the Canon promo's the "deals" on the Nikons seem a lot better. Eg Image stabilizing on longer lenses for the same price as the Canons without it.

Had a go at the 5100 yesterday (until then was looking at the 3100) and it felt fantastic.

A "standard" package (camera, 18-55 lens and 55/70-200/250/300) is looking the goods, even if I end up selling one of the lenses on Ebay and buying a better one or more.

Prime lenses are also on the agenda, either now or closer to my trip after having a play with it the next few months.

Since "Duty Free" savings at the airport which used to be quite good have been replaced by GST 10% savings or refunds, I'm not really interested in waiting until 30 days before I leave the country when I'll be eligible for a 10% GST refund. I'm confident on getting at least a 10% discount by paying cash, and adding extras to the deal. Plus those extra few months of practice could be invaluable.

Again, thanks for the advice lads, I'm buying in Feb

.... and the more reviews I read the more confused I get. So far the expected outlay had doubled... from Canon 1000/1100 vs Nikon 3100, to Canon 550/600 vs N5100.... Now I've talked myself into the Canon 60D. Have found a good price in the city and will be off in a few hours..

4 day weekend for me, with the 4yo boy so should get some funny shots. Weather looking good so today's the day!

Archived