Myth Exploded: Xenophobia In Thailand

panadolsandwich

Myth exploded: Xenophobia in Thailand

When I was just a boy, and I got my first library card – it had a magnetic strip on it. It fascinated me, I couldn't let it be. I wanted to know what information that strip had on it. As a boy I had a lot of time on my hands (not having a job), and so as the Internet was blossoming I met some new like-minded friends. Eventually I used the reading head of an old VCR and an oscilloscope (my Dads) to read the card. Then I got an ATM card – we called it hacking...

My friends and I wanted to hack everything – until we decided to go for the ultimate prize – reality. Well I look back on that now – we were thirsting for philosophy.

Anyhow – sorry for the long introduction, but I felt it was necessary to explain my reasons for this topic. The point is that as a successful medical doctor, those halcyon days are behind me, but I never lost that spirit. Lol! I could probably design a superior ATM skimmer than the Russians if I set my mind to it. In fact I'm sure I could!

I never lost the spirit, nor the acumen. Most people see things, hear things, but fail to synthesise and analyse or actually do anything useful, they are ignorant – as it were. However I want to crack reality; or at least your conception of it – and if you think about it – well that would be enough. So on to this topic at hand (and there will follow a series):

The Concise Oxford dictionary defines xenophobia as 'intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries'.

I invite debate here. My position is that I don't believe that there is any such thing in Thailand. In fact all my experiences contradict this. There are certain people lying to you if you've been influenced so. Thai people are warm and friendly. How could anybody discount this? They will tend to share the little they have. If they have your confidence, they will indeed give you their very last. They are a generous people, kind and benevolent. In short I feel they've been slandered by certain foreigners that have even the bitterest gall and the most sad excuses to live here (see my article on the Pattaya Jumper).

Thai people are not xenophobic!!!!

It does warrant a debate! Damn it! And confound those scoundrels that try to propose otherwise. I will be upfront, I'm not going to write this as an article and propound all my ideas at the outset, but I will be prepared to debate, and yes, discuss the matter in good natured manner.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived