Myth Exploded: Xenophobia In Thailand

panadolsandwich

Hi,

I'm sure the OP didn't write that himself. My guess is that it was lifted from some guy's blog.

Sanuk!

KS, apologies for being a nitpicker, but I think you misspelt BOG. :clown:

I don't know of any country with a strong national identity where xenophobia doesnt exist to some extent. Do Thais embrace Burmese, Lao and Cambodian people like their long lost cousins ? Do they acknowledge the contribution of their neighbours (along with India/China/Sri Lanka etc) to their own distinctive culture ?

This is as old as the concept of 'nations', and I dont see it disappearing anytime soon. You dont have to meet newcomers with spears and catapults to be a xenophobe.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every nation in SE Asia hates every other nation in SE Asia. And they all hate the Chinese. And within each nation, the regions hate each other. When I was in RVN, the Southerners would tell me what evil bastards the northerners were, and I'm sure the North no doubt the same about the South. (I knew a few Northerners, refugees who had fled the North when the Reds took it over from the French.)

Every nation in SE Asia hates every other nation in SE Asia. And they all hate the Chinese. And within each nation, the regions hate each other. When I was in RVN, the Southerners would tell me what evil bastards the northerners were, and I'm sure the North no doubt the same about the South. (I knew a few Northerners, refugees who had fled the North when the Reds took it over from the French.)

Same can be said about most countries.

In the USA it might be hard to pick up on it but it is there big time.

I think it's there everywhere. I remember vividly when I was in New York 10 years ago, I went to the movies to see "Monsters Ball" with Halle Berry in it - had seen in in the UK but for whatever reason we wanted to see it again..

During the scenes where blacks are treated in a derogatory fashion, there were actually cheers from the crowd, which really surprised me. NYC being a progressive multi cultural city, as well as the people I met were super friendly and helpful to a lost Aussie, and all that. When I saw it in the UK, there were gasps of shock and a lot of head shaking going on when she was treated badly, but the same scenes people seemed happy to see it in NYC.

Having said that I wouldn't call the UK/London where I lived as being super tolerant either - they have their own problems, even though I lived in a melting pot. Stoke Newington for anyone who knows the area.

There are bigots everywhere, but I don't know too many Anglo-Australians who genuinely dislike Kiwis, and that seems to go both ways. Turn your compass north, though, and the xenophobia needle cranks right up. We are no longer looking at a predominately white society with nominally 'Christian' values, a shared language and culture, or any of the old allegiances (hey, everyone buys weapons from the US ..).

I've said it before - this country is better served by becoming part of (secular) Asia than becoming part of Islam, and one of those outcomes is inevitable within the next 2-3 centuries. If the Indonesians ever put together a decent navy, it could well be both.

I think it's there everywhere. I remember vividly when I was in New York 10 years ago, I went to the movies to see "Monsters Ball" with Halle Berry in it - had seen in in the UK but for whatever reason we wanted to see it again..

Of course, Xenophobia and Racisms are not identical, while they are often are closely related. And don't forget that Chauvinism (putting the own nation above any other nation) comes into play as well.

Just look at Europe. There was immense hatred between nations. In the 19th century and the first part of the 20th century France and Germany were 'arch' enemies. That changed in the 1950s completely. The usual stereotypes aside both countries work extremely close together on many levels (they even produced history books for schools together - which no one is interested to read...).

What I want to say is that, all the usual racism, xenophobia and chauvinism aside, the relationship between countries can change very much, and not only on a political and diplomatic level. But for to change it you'll need most levels of the society changing their minds.

You'll see the opposite in the relationship of Cambo and LOS. Even though both countries share a lot of cultural and other roots, in both nations the hatred of each other is being exploited by its leaders and people/groups of influence (while they do a lot of business together).

Guest lazyphil

Of course, Xenophobia and Racisms are not identical, while they are often are closely related. And don't forget that Chauvinism (putting the own nation above any other nation) comes into play as well.

Just look at Europe. There was immense hatred between nations. In the 19th century and the first part of the 20th century France and Germany were 'arch' enemies. That changed in the 1950s completely. The usual stereotypes aside both countries work extremely close together on many levels (they even produced history books for schools together - which no one is interested to read...).

What I want to say is that, all the usual racism, xenophobia and chauvinism aside, the relationship between countries can change very much, and not only on a political and diplomatic level. But for to change it you'll need most levels of the society changing their minds.

You'll see the opposite in the relationship of Cambo and LOS. Even though both countries share a lot of cultural and other roots, in both nations the hatred of each other is being exploited by its leaders and people/groups of influence (while they do a lot of business together).

when the euro finally crashes and burns....all the old hatred will start. some polish politician speaks of war within 10 years in europe!!!

Archived