Muay Thai

gobbledonk

I know that most of the posters on this board dont have a particularly high opinion of many of the Thai males, but I thought I'd get some feedback from some of you who may have actually seen some 'real' Muay Thai. I saw a couple of guys going at it in a bar (in the ring, that is !), but I know thats a long way from the standard of the top fighters.

I'm not sure what first attracted your attention to Thailand, but I can remember hearing about it way back in the 70's, when I was a callow youth with a fascination for martial arts. The style I chose, Kyokushin Karate, was different to most of the Japanese martial arts at that time - they practised full-contact sparring, and had tournaments where the aim was to knock the other guy out (using kicks - no punching to the head - understandable when you dont wear gloves..). One of the reasons for this was that they desperately wanted to beat the Thais, who had repeatedly humbled many of the champions from the other styles.

One of the most dramatic reports I have ever read detailed the training the Kyokushin team went through before getting into the ring with the Thais. Essentially, they trained the same way the Thais do - knees, elbows, shins and plenty of

contact. They arrived in Thailand to a blaze of local publicity. I cant remember the exact result, but the Japanese won the tournament, despite the decision going to the local boy if both parties remained standing at the end. The highlight was the fight between the top Japanese in the 'tour group' and a great Thai champion who had come out of retirement specifically to defend the honour of Muay Thai. Apparently, he returned to his golf game a wiser man.

My point is not that the Japanese have a superior martial art, its that they had to modify their whole approach to mix it with the Thais - in the ring, anyway. Makes me happy that I'm a lover, not a fighter ...

Hmm, what exactly is your question?

lol.

You first state that many of us don't have a high opinion of Thai males.

Then you go onto elaborate about japanese mixing it with thais but a disclaimer that japanese martial arts aren't necessarily superior but they had to change their style to "mix it" with the Thai's.

Just a bit confused and am also hoping this doesn't degenerate into a my art is better than your art nyah nyah kinda discussion.

But I really am curious to know what kind of responses you were looking for?

On another note, anyone know if any Thai stickfighting schools survive still? Just curious.

<<burp>>

Debated about answering this for the same reasons Gummi gave,

I met many farang, especially in Koh Phi Phi, who were allegedly muay thai experts. seemed like an urban legend kind of thing.

AFA the average Thai on the street, have you ever watched takraw? Uses many of the same skills.

We used to have a group of longtail boat captains who would play takraw in the afternoon. Smacked the shit out of this rataan ball. Tried it myself, it hurts like hell on the elbow.

One day this German tourist, about 6'2', 200+ lbs, wacks this longtail captain on the back. The Thai instinctively swings his elbow in a crescent shaped arc and connects with the German's jaw. All 200 lbs of the guy falls to the ground like a giant pinata cut from a tree. The guy didn't get up for the better part of an hour.

The captain was extremely concerned and embarassed that he took out a tourist.

The scary part to all of this is that the longtail captain was at least 50 and the tourist was in his early 30s. Size difference, about 1 foot and 80lbs.

Impressed the shit out of me.

Old Hippie. I believe the Thai stick/machete fighting schools have largely died out. My father used to have 8mm's of Thai stickfighting in the 50's or 60's, before it was outlawed.

Anyways, the Thais used to have stickfighting bouts much like Muay Thai but with rattan canes. You guessed it, not much protective padding in the ring and basically few rules. Wish I had them reels but I don't. With the outlawing of the fights I think the schools have dwindled. Thais are more prone to settle things with guns wherase the Phillipines or Indonesia the machete is still very much in use.

Arnis is still a great art although there seems to be more than a few watered down versions in the US. Arnis is still great because it is unfortunately a live art. Machete fighting still goes on in the Phillipines (as well as other parts of south east asia, just look at Indonesia, yuck).

I studied Arnis, Kali, and Esrima under the triangle system.

<<burp>>

Gummi-

I am quite certain that there are currently at least one traditional Thai stick fighting school in Bangkok. There was a rather lengthy article about it not too long ago in Thai Airways flight magazine (I think I read about it August or December). -- According to the article the school did make a very good business.

Straycat

Gummit. I believe there are places where you can learn Krabi Krabong (the Thai stcikfighting) still going, also places that do the more effective weapons systems like swords etc.

There are a couple of Farangs from the UK who have searched it out and have excelled to the point that theyh have performed demonstrations in front of the King. If you are really curious as to where you can learn these disciplines in Thailand I can find out.

Cheers

Hi,If you want to see some "REAL" action,then go to Lumpini Stadium on a championship night if possible,although any night there is well worth the experience IMHO. Lumpini is very near the SUK. area,taxi 50 baht or so.Friday night is a good night and the bouts start at approx. 18-30. It is something that every visitor should experience and if possible more than once!!! The stuff in the bars is rubbish,even if it looks sometimes impressive to a newbie.As you have an interest in Martial Arts you will really like it,and try to get where the locals sit,though not many do sit during the bouts,what with all the betting going on all around.The noise,music,yells etc. are something else-ENJOY!!! ALL THE BEST -aussiejohn

Archived