Woodstock ripoff *DELETED*

[color:red]But if you [all of you, not just PM] are gonna do it, DO IT! Or somebody go get in Peter's face and tell him to shape things up or 15,000 baht a month or more is walking out the door.

I just don't want go down as the guy "who killed Woodstock Fridays", okay, and I won't be held responsible for a schism. It's a group or no move at all IMO. I just think the status quo sucks, that's all. color=red>

db, why does it have to be a mass migration?

I think if you have guys that are happy with Woodstock and love eating grease bombs disguised as burgers, let them keep going there. Those unhappy with the food, service, or whatever should take their business elsewhere.

I, and others, suggested Warbler's because it is very similar to Woodstock in some ways, and, IMO, better in most. Or, you could do like KS and others do. Go to Woodstock early, then move over to Warbler's.

I was hoping to go to Warbler's tonight to chat with Santos, but something has come up and I can't go until Friday. Or, I might call him. He will be very receptive to accomodating a large group I can assure you.

There are several possibilities. He might give us the entire area by the pool table. This is a collection of 4 booths/tables. Or, he might give us a major portion of the main dining area which would be in front of the stage and by the buffet table.

The live music is good, but, honestly, I don't go there for that. I prefer chatting with the guys present and the music can put a damper on that. It doesn't normally start before 10pm though and I am usually long gone and in a NEP gogo bar by then.

All I can say is it is more an individual rather than a group decision as mentioned. You have many options. I suggest you give Warbler's a try and see what you think. As KS said though, we have had 25 there before with no problem, but more than that could be crowded. The key is getting there early to hit the buffet and meet guys as they come in.

By the way, I noticed an ad today advertising a restaurant on Soi 4 being for sale. I wonder what place that might be.

Hmmm, Sanuk Suds, Sandwiches, and Somtam, maybe..?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is slightly off subject, but since you guys are familiar with Woodstock, and Woodstock is the only place in NEP I know of that sells more than the standard beers in Thailand (Woodstock sells a German beer and used to sell a Czech beer), do any of you know any bars in or around NEP that have a better variety of beers than the standard Singha, Carlsberg, etc.??

The food at Woodstock is OK, but I enjoy the place primarily because it has a better selection of beer than the other places I know in NEP. Any alternatives in NEP?

Hey. If you guys do decide to move Friday gatherings to Warblers or somewhere other than Woodstock, please announce the move here, as I'd like to attend sometime during my June/July visit to BKK and meet up with some of the names I've become familiar with through this board.

Again, I don't think there is a person qualified on this list to say the Friday meetings will move to Warbler's or anywhere else. I think that is a personal decision, but I encourage the Woodstock regulars to give Warbler's a try and see what they think.

However, I think I will try something new this week after enjoying the fine buffet in Warbler's. I am going to The Cathouse and I will encourage my friends to join me. I really appreciate the way Top Cat provides excellent information on the board from the perspective of a bar-owner in the LOS.

I think the least we can do is patronize the establishment of one of our own board members, so, I'll make my way to The Cathouse for that first Carlsberg tomorrow night. Hopefully, I'll even be able to finally meet Top Cat himself.

I have been told by Khun Sanuk and Crazy Man about these posts on the messageboard. I am very sorry about the things that happened. I will give a longer reply tomorrow. All I can say for now is that if you do have a problem ask for Kim, the manager, or Orn. They are usually around on Fridaynights at that time. We are not afraid of critisism. It is the only way we can improve things. So if you have a question or if something is wrong ask for the manager. As I am sure he or she can solve any problem better than the waitresses can.

Peter

Common Sars, you are being a bit hard with Peter. It is almost as if you have a personal fued with him. I never heard you complain about the food in the years that you did come there. I know I am biased in the other direction as Peter and Orn are very good friends of mine. As far as the prices are concerned for beers and the rise of it, it is very simply. As long as Nanaplaza keeps on rising their rental prices with 25% a year because David Walsh has asked them to do that so he can buy out the leases of other owners. Prices will rise untill he stops doing that.

I know Peter is not the kind of guy who comes over and shakes everybody's hand. The new manager is that kind of guy though.

And do not forget the bar has been there for 18 years and has a big number of regulars coming back. So the food canot be that bad.

CM

Crazy Man,

I find it hilarious with all the comments by other board members that you single me out as having a personal feud with Peter. That would hardly be possible would it as the guy never said a word to me in the years I patronized his bar? And, yes, if you go back and read prior asfo convention reports you will find plenty of my complaints about the quality of the food in Woodstock. The food quality was just one reason I took my business elsewhere.

But, as I said in my posts, I prefer to emphasize the many positives of a place like Warbler's rather than the negatives of Woodstock. Again, I will say it is a personal choice where you go. If sanuk members enjoy Woodstock, fine, they should keep going there. It's their choice.

However, you know asfo meets up in Warbler's as well as most of the guys from your private list. One of them, Long Gun, has expressed his reasons here for doing so. I agree with him and will continue to support Warbler's for the same reasons he mentioned.

There is no war between Woodstock and Warbler's. Both can and should continue to provide excellent food, service, and sanuk to their customers. I applaud Peter for appearing here and also look forward to his next post.

And, of course, you know where you can find me tonight as you sometimes do - in Warbler's. smile.gif

KS and All,

The evening cashier's name is Ping. She has been there for quite a long time. I've never had a problem there myself, and do go there often when in Bangkok for their blackened cheeseburgers and chicken enchiladas, and do like their lightly spicy guacamole and chips. Peter is a nice guy and I'm sure he'd want to know if anyone had a problem there, and would rectify it as soon as he knew. His wife is very nice and friendly and helpful too. If Peter's not there then ask the staff for his wife Orn if you have any problems. I've noticed the high turnover in waitresses the past couple of years myself, and wondered why. As for those who say he's never shouted them a round of beers, well, a couple of times when I was there at night he bought me many rounds of drinks. (And Santos has done the same at Warblers and Titty Twisters. Santos gave the wife and I a nice bottle of wine as a wedding present when we all met there before the Surin wedding bus trip. Also a very nice guy with a nice establishment!)

I like both places for different reasons.

I think any problems, when brought to Peter and Orn's attention, will be quickly handled.

And personally I think Woodstock's burgers are the best I've had anywhere in Thailand.

Cent

Archived