So I Bought A Tablet

radioman

What are your router settings AES or TKIP

Ensure AES "Advanced Encryption Standard" is selected over TKIP and this should resolve your issue

Kong

[/quote

I've searched for both of these settings in all of the options associated with the BT Voyager2110 and couldn't find any reference to either AES or TKIP.

Not sure if the following is going to help you or not. Any further suggestions?? Thanks.

The following is the IP Routing Configuration - Dynamic and Static

Static RoutingDynamic Routing

IP Dynamic Routing Settings

You can enable the function on several interfaces of your Voyager. Select the desired RIP version and operation mode, then tick the 'Enabled' checkbox to enable RIP.

Interface RIP Version Operation Mode Enabled

LAN

pppoe_8_35_1

IP Routing Configuration

Static RoutingDynamic Routing

IP Static Route Settings

Current routes:

Destination Netmask Gateway WAN Interface Delete

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is your router security setup? Choices will be likely None, WEP, WPA (maybe WPA2).

The WPA modes are the most secure, not generally hackable but also unnecessary in a lot of domestic environments unless you live next door to hack boy who intends to access your network no matter what. I've found that WPA is a lot more picky about connections and also a lot shorter range.

WEP is probably good enough, though it can be hacked, not something to overly worry about unless you are in the vicinity of the aforementioned hackboy!

None leaves your network wide open and any one can theoretically access it though it gives improved range in a lot of cases. I have been running my home network in open configuration for some time now and nobody gets on it that I don't want because I have access limited by MAC address. Now these can be spoofed (hackboy would know how) but most people would simple give up. I find this adequate security (I think).

Setting the router in this way has improved reliability of connections with multiple devices from Android phones, a Wii, several tablets and computers. I would be loathe to change it to something else as I suspect I would see similar issues to the one you are facing.

It might be handy to understand your particular setup a little more. Do you have other devices connected wirelessly?

I'm certainly not convinced it is a tablet issue as such but one of connectivity between the different devices.

What is your router security setup? Choices will be likely None, WEP, WPA (maybe WPA2).

The WPA modes are the most secure, not generally hackable but also unnecessary in a lot of domestic environments unless you live next door to hack boy who intends to access your network no matter what. I've found that WPA is a lot more picky about connections and also a lot shorter range.

WEP is probably good enough, though it can be hacked, not something to overly worry about unless you are in the vicinity of the aforementioned hackboy!

None leaves your network wide open and any one can theoretically access it though it gives improved range in a lot of cases. I have been running my home network in open configuration for some time now and nobody gets on it that I don't want because I have access limited by MAC address. Now these can be spoofed (hackboy would know how) but most people would simple give up. I find this adequate security (I think).

Setting the router in this way has improved reliability of connections with multiple devices from Android phones, a Wii, several tablets and computers. I would be loathe to change it to something else as I suspect I would see similar issues to the one you are facing.

It might be handy to understand your particular setup a little more. Do you have other devices connected wirelessly?

I'm certainly not convinced it is a tablet issue as such but one of connectivity between the different devices.

I use WEP.

Devices connected to the router is a cat5 cable to a DVR in another part of the house.

In addition I've a VOIP type telephone connected by cable.

Wirelessly I've got a desktop PC which uses a USB type dongle (?) to connect to the router.

There is the Tablet, an iTouch, and a smartphone (Samsung Galaxy 2).

I've been doing some tests as follows:

Scenario 1: Tablet wifi OFF and Router OFF ------- Switch on Tablet and set wifi to ON then switch on Router - this is the only way the Tablet connects.

Scenario 2: Tablet wifi ON and Router OFF ------- Switch on Tablet and then switch on Router - FAILS - it causes the Tablet to just keep restarting although Tablet is Obtaining the IP address etc.

Scenario 3: Tablet wifi OFF and Router ON ------- Switch on Tablet and set wifi to ON - FAILS - it causes the Tablet to just keep restarting although Tablet is Obtaining the IP address etc.

Scenario 4: Tablet wifi ON and Router ON ------- Switch on Tablet - FAILS - it causes the Tablet to just keep restarting although Tablet is Obtaining the IP address etc.

Note when I say Switch on Tablet I mean a full Start from cold.

When I say Tablet wifi OFF or ON I mean thats the state it was in when I fully switched it off (not just a restart).

Hope you can make something of that and maybe suggest what I should do next.

Its seen that I can get it to work but if I bring the tablet to some other area e.g. free wifi, I suspect Scenario 3 and 4 could come into play since I can't control the router. I hope to give that a test soon when next I'm in an area of free wifi.

Several things to try here

http://www.galaxytabforums.net/forum/galaxy-tab-10-1-help/456-unable-connect-my-own-wifi.html

Eveeything from a hard reset, disabling security and setting a static ip address.

Since you have a galaxy s2 phone you could enable the wifi router on that and try to connect the tab to it.

Several things to try here

http://www.galaxytabforums.net/forum/galaxy-tab-10-1-help/456-unable-connect-my-own-wifi.html

Eveeything from a hard reset, disabling security and setting a static ip address.

Since you have a galaxy s2 phone you could enable the wifi router on that and try to connect the tab to it.

Thanks will look at that and see if I get a solution.

Here's some more info.

Today, and for the rest of this week, I am in Saudi Arabia, in a small place up near the Kuwait border. Right dump of a place but the so called hotel with three floors has an access point on each floor and all 3 of my wireless devices can see all of these routers. Now, my laptop with XP connects to the strongest router signal, the one on my floor, no problem but neither of my droids, the galaxy tab or the HTC phone will touch it. They just keep cycling the obtaining IP address. Now when I tried to connect to a router on a different floor both the tab and the phone connected straight away. All the routers are set up with WPA2 security and have the same password.

Now I am confused but can only assume that the router configuration plays a part here. The laptop will happily connect to any of these routers but the droids only one.

Not exactly easy to examine what the differences are but seems like it has to be router config more than anything.

Ok I just noticed something. 2 of the routers here are set to WPA and the third one, that all 3 of my devices can connect to, is set to WPA2. Could be that the droids have a problem with something other than either open or WPA2.

Not sure what my home router can do, will try next week when I get back.

Archived