Bts Skytrain Extension

Ryder

Recent completion of the latest extension has meant the BTS eastern line has unlocked new areas :)

Took a ride and took a look :)

Apologies for the 'grill' effect.

The sun-shield effect means focusing is a bit tricky :(

It's free travel around the new areas until mid January. So take a look now before the charges take effect...

They only need to get more carriages added now, as it is the overcrowding is insane, compared to a few years back...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last time I took the Skytrain, I noticed it said the end of the line was Bearing. WTF is Bearing? I had to look it up. Bae-ring would be a better spelling, not that it means anything to me either. Out in Samut Prakan apparently.

The northern extension slowly proceeds; it will go quite near me on its way to Nonthaburi. Maybe a couple of more years to go.

Last time I took the Skytrain, I noticed it said the end of the line was Bearing. WTF is Bearing? I had to look it up. Bae-ring would be a better spelling, not that it means anything to me either. Out in Samut Prakan apparently.

The northern extension slowly proceeds; it will go quite near me on its way to Nonthaburi. Maybe a couple of more years to go.

Hi Flash, that would be the purple line that is going to Nonthaburi.

Bearing is if I recall correctly the border street between Bangkok and Samut Prakan provinces. The line hasn't extended into Samut Prakan yet because of (surprise surprise) local political issues in Samut Prakan. An extension is planned (even approved I believe).

Wiki: http://t2.thai360.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=25&t=57357&qpid=1367869

Ok so extension is approved already and construction supposed to have started.

Waerth

Has the sky train reduced any of traffic congestions?

I think not.

Same as Bumrungrad and Samitivej do not represent Thai health system, the Skytrain does not represent Thai public transport.

A Mickey Mouse creature, out of the place and out of the reach for ordinary people. And mostly unwanted by those who can afford their cars (anyone can take a loan, even at 8,000B monthly salary).

Would it be better if it has not been ever constructed?

No, but those coming to On Nut and parking their cars in the Lotus or Carefour and riding the Skytrain after that appear to be a minority that has had no impact on traffic jams. At the Lotus On Nut car park is full on weekdays but no customers in the store.

Has the sky train reduced any of traffic congestions?

I think not.

Same as Bumrungrad and Samitivej do not represent Thai health system, the Skytrain does not represent Thai public transport.

A Mickey Mouse creature, out of the place and out of the reach for ordinary people. And mostly unwanted by those who can afford their cars (anyone can take a loan, even at 8,000B monthly salary).

Would it be better if it has not been ever constructed?

No, but those coming to On Nut and parking their cars in the Lotus or Carefour and riding the Skytrain after that appear to be a minority that has had no impact on traffic jams. At the Lotus On Nut car park is full on weekdays but no customers in the store.

You need population and traffic density like Bangkok's to make any kind of mass transit system feasible, but it is really hard to build a mass transit system that can move ENOUGH people to make a significant dent in the traffic density.

If you want to see how popular the Skytrain is for commuters, hit Asoke BTS station at 17:00 or so. I only made that mistake ONCE.

Hi,

I disagree and think the skytrain has made a great improvement on traffic in Bangkok. Same for the subway. While traffic along the skytrain / subway routes is still bad, it is not nearly as bad as it was before they were implemented.

As for it being out of the reach of 'ordinairy people', I suggest riding it a few times, esp during rushhour. 99% of the occupants are Thai, office workers, school kids, elderly.

Sanuk!

I think you definitely get a different passenger on the Sky Train to what you see on the buses though.

I'll agree it would be a lot cheaper than driving if you were on the route, but how many Westerners drive past the train station in their own country every day?

Hi,

I disagree and think the skytrain has made a great improvement on traffic in Bangkok. Same for the subway. While traffic along the skytrain / subway routes is still bad, it is not nearly as bad as it was before they were implemented.

As for it being out of the reach of 'ordinairy people', I suggest riding it a few times, esp during rushhour. 99% of the occupants are Thai, office workers, school kids, elderly.

Sanuk!

Certainly, the most of the commuters are Thais. Great deal of them would (or could) not drive anyway.

What I mean is get those from the 10B (or 5B those small green ones) buses to ride the train. Either no money or the train does not go where they need it.

Or get proud owners of (leased or loan bought) cars to shed their status and ride a train.

First time I came to Bangkok was 1 month after the Skytrain was open, I don't know what it was before but traffic jams are still there.

Archived