Rum, and Other Alcohol

I'm sitting here with a rum and Sprite and thought I would put in a blurb on rum. I do like some occasionally, and Bacardi has a nice dark variety available here called Bacardi Reserva, which is what I'm drinking right now. Decent stuff, although I think my favorite rum of all time is Myers' dark.

Not to narrow this thread too much, I mentioned "Other Alcohol" in the title. When not drinking my usual Singha, I do like Thai whiskey. I'll buy a bottle of Mekhong from time to time for old times' sake, but I mostly enjoy Tumbler and Black Cat.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In reply to:

[color:green]I do like Thai whiskey. I'll buy a bottle of Mekhong from time to time for old times' sake, color=green>

Which of course is closer to rum than whisky as it is made of sugar cane. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

regards

ALHOLK

Mekhong is made from sugar cane? I thought it was made from rice. I remember a few years ago there was a debate among local farangs as to how to classify Thai whiskey, since true whiskey was not made from rice, while Thai whiskeys are, or at least Mekhong anyway. Or so the debate went. Now, Sang Thip IS made from sugar cane, and it's not labeled a whiskey.

Can anyone confirm what Thai whiskies are made from?

Yes, Captain Morgan's is good, too. The best I've ever had, really though, was some stuff I picked up in Central America and not available elsewhere. Flor de Cana it was called.

From the "Encyclopedia Americana":

"Sake, a fermented rice beer, is the national beverage of Japan. It is often called a wine because it is not effervescent like beer and it has a high alcoholic content: 12% to 16%. It is said to be named after Osaka, Japan. Sake is colorless and is usually served warm."

Not EVEN close to Thai whiskey, which tastes world's better and has 35-40 percent alcoholic content.

Hi!

I'm not absolutely sure ofcourse, but I heard some years ago that both Mekong and Sang Thip were made from sugar cane.

Although not a frequent rhum drinker I do occasionally appereciate a glas of Captain Morgan or some other dark rhum. I must admit that the taste of rhum from the west Indies is quite different from Mekong. Whisky on the other side does cover a large variety of licqors. Most people would, regardless of their preferences, agree that Jack Daniels has very little in common with Bowmore or Laphroig.

regards

ALHOLK

P.S. I to would be interested if anyone knows for sure what Mekong is made of.

Nope. Mekhong is from rice. I just found substantial evidence through Google. That being ascertained, the question remains: If it's made from rice, CAN it be called "whiskey"?

Archived