Rum, and Other Alcohol

Hi JP1,

>>>Keeping someones purchased whiskey bottle with a name tag at a cabinet is common practice in bars all over Jpn. <<<

You're right. I only brought up because they actually engrave your name on a solid brass plaque. Pretty classy setup, compared to most. Head shareholder (family owned?) was a white haired guy who used to ask for me, in particular (San Shogi?). He got a kick of having a hole' (white guy) cook tepannyaki for him, and guests (I was only non-Japanese teppan chef in entire company....long story)...... Great tipper, too. $100.00 US minimum. Fun guy.

Anyway, they make a good top-shelf whiskey.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Whisky is made in Scotland. Everything else every where else is just Whiskey."

No, Scotch is made in Scotland. Or do you mean the "whisky" spelling, without the "e"? If so, then that's spelled that way all throught the UK and in Canada, also.

• 3 weeks later...

Suntory beer maybe ranks third in Japan behind Asahi and Kirin. Suntory makes many different kinds of whiskey ranging from shite to a decent single malt. Reserve is probably their most popular brand although I don't buy it because I can get The Glenliveit for the same price or cheaper in Japan.

• 3 weeks later...

I gotta agree, soiled, Bundy is the dogs bollox, although being a native queenslander I would say that. I always take a bottle of the overproof (61% abv) with me on my asian adventures as it is good for all that ails ye. For instance, in the past I have used it to disinfect wounds, neutralize Bangladeshi water, bribe officials in nepal and make tahi bg's more amourous. Having visited the distillery in Bundaberg, I can highly recommend the experience if any of the bretheren find themselves in that neck of the woods. It costs bugger all and you get a fair old sample of the stuff at the end.

Cheers

Jaga

[color:red]I know that Scotch is popular in Japan, but I did not imagine they would go so far as to make their own.color=red>

And not only that!

Japan produces more whisky than any other country in the world -- excluding Scotland, of course. At least that's what I've read a few years ago...

Here in Thailand I find myself buying a bottle of Spey Royal once in a while. A pretty good whisky, much like Black Label but at a much better price. I wonder if it's bottled in Thailand? I've never seen this brand in Europe...

• 4 weeks later...

"From the "Encyclopedia Americana": Sake, a fermented rice beer, is the national beverage of Japan... It is said to be named after Osaka, Japan. Sake is colorless and is usually served warm..."

The "Encyclopedia Americana" is talking bollocks. In Japanese "sake" means "liquor, alcoholic beverage, booze": walking into a Tokyo bar and demanding "Sake!" would be like striding into an British pub and saying "Gimme an alcoholic drink!" In both cases, the barman would, rightly, ask you to be more specific i. e. what KIND of liquor do you want, asshole?

And it's got fuck all to do with Osaka: completely different etymology. The "sake" kanji can be pronounced "saka" but the "saka" part of "O-saka" is a completely different kanji, no relative. That really is bollocks.

The "Encyclopedia Bollockana" seems to be describing "Nihonshu". "Nihon" = Japan, "shu" = liquor (same kanji as "sake" but the alternative Chinese pronunciation). Or possibly "shochu" which is a rougher cheaper version. Both taste like fucking petrol, however blush.gif.

And it's not always colourless, nor is it "usually" served warm. "Often" or "sometimes" would be better choices of word. If you want it heated up you have to request "atsukan", popular in the cold winters (and gets you pissed very quickly) but not such a good bet in the humid summer. If you don't specify "atsukan" it'll come cold.

Pedantic, moi? smile.gif

Actually, I read the other day that the "national beverage of Japan" is now coffee. Japan's the third highest consumer of coffee among the world's industrialised nations, apparently. (Biggest smoker of fags, eighth biggest guzzler of booze wink.gif, but bottom of the shagging-frequency league table (no surprises there: my Japanese ex-wife was brilliant at not shagging blush.gifmad.gif).

j wink.gif

Archived