Rum, and Other Alcohol

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you like a good rum, try to get a taste of Aussie's favourite rum, Bundagerg Rum or in slang, Bundie - it's not a bad drop and makes the coldest Bangkok night much more comfortable after a few! Have to admit though, that I really, really have a problem stopping when a bottle of Drambuie is close, which is never often enough as it's at least $50 a bottle over here, premium whiskey prices.

"satho (rice wine) and lao (rice whiskey)"

I had some Lao Lao (as the locals say) when i was hanging around in Luang Prahang in Laos. Terrible stuff, and normally I really like nearly everything (except bloody maries, but just 'cause of the tomato juice) Bye, H.

PS: I also thought Mekhong is distilled from Rice, but the taste is more rhum-like.

isn't that called lao khao (literally rice liquor); it tastes close to tequila and is a distilled rice liquor with a high alcohol percentage.

satho on the other hand is young rice wine; there is a white and a red one. i have never seen this available in stores, but had this upcountry from private.

It's easy to define what real whiskey is: If it called whiskey, and is made in Canada, the USA, Scotland or Ireland, it's real whiskey. If it's made anywhere else, it's not real whiskey.

JG

"isn't that called lao khao (literally rice liquor)"

You are BOTH correct. In Thai, it is "lao khao"; in Lao, it is "lao lao." Bought it in both countries myself. An acquired taste, for sure, but then so is corn moonshime in Tennessee or Kentucky, I guess.

"It's easy to define what real whiskey is: If it called whiskey, and is made in Canada, the USA, Scotland or Ireland, it's real whiskey. If it's made anywhere else, it's not real whiskey."

I've heard that in regards to bourbon, but not regarding whiskey in general. If it's NOT made in that one certain county in Kentucky, then it's not bourbon. (The same for champaigne; if not from that region of France, it's called "sparkling wine.")

Sang Thip is made from cane molasses so is certainly rum. It's not Cockspur or Lamb's Navy but it's rum none the less.

Has anyone tried the true moonshines, the unlicensed hooches called lao theuan ? If so, pray tell smile.gif.

Hi!

You are incorrect. Whisk(e)y is defined by the ingredients and the process it's made with. In 1999 the Swedish distillary Mackmyra started to produce single malt. For obvious reasons it won't be on the market for some years yet but it will be whisky. In Sweden all the ingredients are avalable, clean water, barley, peat etc.

I also belive that Suntory produces a whisky that is done with the appropriate process.

regards

ALHOLK

P.S. I don't think that Scotland produces any whiskey. laugh.gif

Archived