Rum, and Other Alcohol

Hi!

A friend of mine attended a wedding some time ago in northern Isaan. I think it was in the Nong Kai area. Late at night they ran out of booze and sent out a pickup to get more. The truck returned with a large number of bottles and my friend was told that it was moonshine from Laos. My friend said that it tasted good and had nothing in common woith the Lao Khao that is sold in Thailand.

regards

ALHOLK

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...my friend was told that it was moonshine from Laos. My friend said that it tasted good and had nothing in common woith the Lao Khao that is sold in Thailand."

Not that I'm THAT much of a moonshine connoisseur, but I've had different types in Laos. Some were just like what you find in Thailand, others were a purplish color and very sweet.

I have been to Japan, but only as a layover enroute to Thailand. I have a vague memory of seeing Suntory Whiskey in the duty-free - I figured it was made in a Scottish distillery owned by the Japanese. Well, if you have tried it and it tastes like real whiskey, then I stand corrected.

JG

Suntory whiskey is famous in Japan. They founded the first whiskey distillery back in 1929 in Yamazaki valley near Kyoto and the second in 1973 in Hakushu (Japanese Alps). As far as I know they do not produce whiskey in Scottland or anywhere else. I'm no expert but I know some guys from Suntory.

Hi!

Quite some years ago I read an article in a newspaper that Suntory made a whisky with peat and barley imported from Scotland. I don't remember if they also imported the water which is a significant element in the taste. This whisky was supposed to be as expensive as imported scotch.

I have only tasted Suntory once and that was a cheaper kind. Quite frankly it didn't taste much like the original.

regards

ALHOLK

I used to work for Suntory (teppanyaki chef). They produce several grades of whiskey, the top being quite expensive. I believe their beer is second only to Kirin (sales). In all Suntory restaurants, they have a large cabinet at entrance where they will keep your purchased whiskey bottle for you with your name ingraved on a brass plate attached to the bottle.

OK Gentlemen, now my curiousity is well and truly piqued. I am making a trip to LOS shortly. In the interests of the advancement of human knowledge, I will get myself a bottle of Suntory there and see how it measures up.

I know that Scotch is popular in Japan, but I did not imagine they would go so far as to make their own.

JG

I believe their beer is second only to Kirin (sales). In all Suntory restaurants, they have a large cabinet at entrance where they will keep your purchased whiskey bottle for you with your name ingraved on a brass plate attached to the bottle.

As far as I know they're among the three biggest beer manufacturers in Jpn. Others being Kirin and Sapporo.

Keeping someones purchased whiskey bottle with a name tag at a cabinet is common practice in bars all over Jpn.

Archived