Just Deleted My Facebook Account

gobbledonk

I'm sure people use Facebook for worthwhile reasons - and for artists, businesses, can understand.

I just have a visceral dislike of it. A lot of the people I work with spend half their day on it, updating their 'moods' and giving inane descriptions of what they had for lunch. Does anybody give a shit? They should call it narcissist book. I was on it briefly, found myself with dozens of friends I barely knew trying to out-cool each other.

One guy I work with, who's a decent likeable guy - spends every waking moment on it. I'm not some productivity workaholic, but it sucks when you're on a project with him because you know he's bullshitting his time away (and if we're doing something serious, I'm not going to turn in some fucked-up half-done workflows and will end up covering for him). But I digress. So one day I'm sitting next to him and I see he's got 'new order' listed on his facebook page as an interest, along with the author Bukowski. Hey, neat - I had no idea - so I start talking to him about New Order and Joy Division - come to find out he didn't even know who Joy Division was, nor a single song by New Order. He didn't even know Blue Monday. what???? Why would you post blatant bullshit out to the world? And he definitely didn't know Bukowski. It was all a careful construct trying to be hip. The worst thing is - I don't think the hipsters are even into Bukowski or New Order these days (thank God).

And the girls I work with - they'll take hundreds... HUNDREDS... of pictures of themselves with their phone in orchestrated poses trying to look spontaneous. And then they'll pour over these, again and again... trying to get the perfect pics for facebook.

Anyway, wtf am I talking about? I forgot?

Culminating factor was last year - come from a small town in the midwest - good friend of mine from long ago married the sister of another good friend. Best friend I had as a teen. And they're going through this ugly divorce. Suddenly I'm getting emails from both point out I'm on the other's facebook friend list with subtle hints I ought to change that.

Fuck it, pulled the plug.

People are people and what-not, but as a whole my impression of facebook is it's a carefully crafted veneer folks try and present to the world, that often doesn't jive with reality.

Of course, that's what people do regardless.

wtf am I talking about again?

I don't know...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on FB briefly a few years ago but fairly quickly removed myself.

As an idea I think it's quite good but reality is much different. I couldn't stand all the moronic stuff people would post or send me, like, so and so has just thrown a pizza at you do you want to throw one back, so and so wants you to join their rock band, so and so has just scored X gazillion points on some stupid game, and so on and so on.

I could see it as useful for someone travelling and wanting to keep all their friends up to date with where they were or what they were doing without having to send emails to everyone but other than that? :dunno:

I suspect that most of us are too old for FB - Gen Y and Z seem to live on FB/Twitter. I can see the value for working girls/hardcore punters looking to avoid having to spend a lot of time sending photos etc via email, but that's about it. I dont miss my account one bit.

Guest lazyphil

I suspect that most of us are too old for FB - Gen Y and Z seem to live on FB/Twitter. I can see the value for working girls/hardcore punters looking to avoid having to spend a lot of time sending photos etc via email, but that's about it. I dont miss my account one bit.

more solace here on the 360 :elephant::closemouth::surprised:

A lot of the people I work with spend half their day on it, updating their 'moods' and giving inane descriptions of what they had for lunch. Does anybody give a shit? They should call it narcissist book.

I block people who post this personal and extremely boring stuff immediately. For me it is all about sharing usable information and business (including self promotion)...

Guest lazyphil

You got that right, Phil old mate. Congratulations on reaching the 10-year mark, btw - my own anniversary will be later this month and it couldnt come at a better time. Only a Lotto win would make me happier. :grinyes:

cheers arty its been emotional!

Archived