Just Deleted My Facebook Account

gobbledonk

I didnt have anything particularly incriminating on it - definitely nothing that a future employer would find objectionable - but I always resented the fact that a former employer had insisted that we all have FB accounts to raise our 'profile'. I know there are ongoing issues with the 'deletion' process, mainly around the fact that Facebook wont actually delete my info/photos, and most of you will know about the Wayback Machine and similar services, but it still feels good.

I know it sounds paranoid, but I often think back to the days pre-Internet when the only people who had even heard of me were people who had a reason to do so - it all seems so long ago.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad idea gobble, thinking of doing the same myself, it certainly tries to be a big timewaster that's for sure.

The only reason I don't delete it is it's how I "reconnected" with a few of the devious lads from not only this board, but old friends from years ago (school, travel, old jobs etc). During my dark years of marriage, unfortunately most, if not all, of those friendships were severed... some still are.

Its weird, Red, but about the only people I still have any interest in maintaining online interaction with are on this board. Stick likes to bang on about internet 'chums' not being what they seem, but at least most of the old-timers here manage to remain civil to one another - it hasn't always been that rosy, as I'm sure you know. Many boards feature 'discussions' that are just an endless round of 'point and counterpoint' between keyboard warriors - little wonder I lose interest quickly.

Its weird, Red, but about the only people I still have any interest in maintaining online interaction with are on this board. Stick likes to bang on about internet 'chums' not being what they seem, but at least most of the old-timers here manage to remain civil to one another - it hasn't always been that rosy, as I'm sure you know. Many boards feature 'discussions' that are just an endless round of 'point and counterpoint' between keyboard warriors - little wonder I lose interest quickly.

i got into facebook because of my family.

most are living in different countries to me and a good way to keep in touch.

without facebook i probably would'nt have seen pix of my nephew growing up in Australia or my cousin in the USA growing into a young man and planning his big trip to the UK next month.

easy for regular facebook regulars to update.

i tend to look every day or 2 just to keep up with what's going on.

people these days are lazy with e-mail and attachments and facebook is so much easier to do things with.

and i have got in touch with long-lost cousins because of it and a great friend of mine in the USA recently posted a picture of a great event which happened years ago and it was a delight to see it.

i'm not a big user,just like to have a look at new photos and the odd comment.

rarely do i write anything...............

I for one have never seen the fascination, some may say addiction, with facebook and similar sites of it's ilk in the past (hi5, MySpace etc) and would never consider doing so.

As for an "Employer insisting" I opened a FB account, as in Gobbie's case, I would politely point to the contract of employment and ask them where it states that this is a requirement under the terms & conditions of such, and tell them to get stuffed. If they decided to terminate the contract due to failure to comply a tribunal would rule in your favour.

I do have a "Linked In" account, which is basically nothing more than a glorified online CV that many employment agency now use for advertising position's available based upon my profile and skills set. A previous employer sent an email to all staff and contractors asking for log in details of all social networking sites we are registered with, I replied is this April 1st or a test to which I was told it was a new HR requirement, typical HR muppets.

I argued back on 2 points, firstly it was not specified as a requirement in the contract between us and secondly referred them to Linked In User Agreement, Section 2 "YOUR OBLIGATIONS" Paragraph D "Sign-In Credentials"

You agree to: (1) Keep your password secure and confidential; (2) not permit others to use your account;

I pointed out that integrity and confidentiality were part of my contract with the employer and I had signed a "Non-Disclosure" agreement, yet some numpty in HR expects me to breach my contract with Linked In thereby showing lack of integrity, hence the reason I was asking was it a test. Company withdrew the requirement, you can tell my old man was a staunch union man and some of it rubbed off on me.

As for using FB for keeping in touch and sharing photo's etc poppycock, there are many alternatives out there than the FB control freaks, Flickr or Picasa etc for photo's, youtube for VDO's just set your privacy settings correct, e-mail and SKYPE. Even though I am nearly 13,000 KM from my father we still watch live football games "together", just call him on SKYPE a few minutes before kick off have a chat with my Mother and then chat about the game with my Father as if we were sat together.Since many more games are shown live on True Vision that are not shown on UK TV on more than one occasion I have had SKYPE Video chats with him with the web cam on my TV so he can watch it in UK on his laptop, sometimes one or both of my Brother in laws join in as well, good fun. The old man is fast approaching 80 now but he ain't no Luddite. I chat with my Parents, Daughters, Sisters and Nieces at least once a week on SKYPE

A recent report shows that Facebook is blamed for a third of divorces in UK. Well Mark Zuckerberg will never have me as a subscriber to his "Global Census"

I for one have never seen the fascination, some may say addiction, with facebook and similar sites of it's ilk in the past (hi5, MySpace etc) and would never consider doing so.

As for using FB for keeping in touch and sharing photo's etc poppycock, there are many alternatives out there

the using of facebook is the choice of my family and good friends.

if it's there prefered choice then who am i to disagree.

as i say,i just look every now and then just to keep in touch with family a long way away and just like reading about how they are getting on.

but 2 things make me smile.

my cousin turned 16 a couple of months ago and his girlfriend wrote a couple of messages that 'implied' they had had sex for the first time that night...

i hate to think what her parents thought..... :closemouth:

my sister is pregnant again and i only know of the fact from her chatting on facebook,she is useless at e-mails and i wonder if i would have discovered the fact without facebook.

but what i never understood was people working together chatting on facebook and then working together later on the same day?.

I use Facebook daily.

For to keep in touch with people on other continents and for professional reasons. For me there is a lot of information to be found in my area of expertise.

BUT, I have the rule to never post anything personal at Facebook. No info where and when I go to holiday, no private photographs at all (friends, family, travel, party, e.g..). No political or religious opinions/comments, nothing at all about my relationship status or my family and friends. In short, it is strictly about business.

The only facts others can learn about me: what I am interested in and to what kind of people I am connected to.

Nevertheless I guess that even from these very limited information all the data collectors with with their monstrous databases and analytic tools might gain a lot of information about me when they connect the FB information with other sources (Google, Amazon, e.g.).

i only know about my sisters pregnancy from facebook.

she's 20 odd years younger then me and we have never exchanged e-mails and all i know about her is on facebook and the odd e-mail i get from her parents.

i never even knew she had returned to the UK in 2010 for a visit with my nephew and i missed out on an occasion i would have loved.

i also know she is returning to the UK this christmas,but only from facebook.

i see no harm in sites like facebook if you lurk,as i do.

Archived