Exchange Rate Usd - Thb 30 December 2012

elef

Oddly enough, one of our more 'doom and gloom' gurus was blathering on about the US and China getting their respective acts together this year, and predicting big things for the markets as a result. Makes me just as nervous, if not more so, than when they are wringing their hands together ..........

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the Chinese economy I hope their real eastate bubble doesn't burst this year.

Traditionaly GDP rates are figured based on goods produced and sold. But in China GDP figures are based on production only. For the past few years the Chinese have been producing between 10 and 20 million condos a year and only selling 2-4 million of them. So the growing stock of apartments are growing until one day they will wake up to the problem and the bubble will burst, no doubt.

Traveling through China I have seen this first hand. Driving through streets one sees endless rows of residential towers 30-50 stories high. On the ground floor there is usually a Bank of China branch several empty stores and maybe storefronts covered with large posters covering the glass fronts. On the way back in the evening looking up at all these towers one thing is noticed-no lights meaning the whole building is vacant. I have gotten used to seeing this same sight trip after trip.

There are stories of whole vacant towns that have been built but have no residents. All these towns were built on former farmlands.

I've seen a docco about the same thing, a whole town built to house several million, all the towers vacant, with what was supposed to be the world's biggest mall - it only had 2 or 3 three shops open in it...

Ever been to Penang ? Kuta ? I suspect that similar madness even happened when the currency crash hit BKK - we've all seen the abandoned residential skyscrapers and the freeway overpass halted mid construction - personally, I dont recall a deserted shopping mall, but I'm sure it happened. Anyone ?

(when you mention a deserted town, I instantly think of Pripyat:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2111558/Nuclear-ghost-town-near-Chernobyl-Eerie-images-wasteland-city-50-000.html

Nothing quite as desolate as a deserted amusement park, IMO.)

• 1 month later...

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=USD&view=5Y

Despite the fact that our current government is basically dead in the water, having saddled us with over 300 billion dollars worth of debt, our dollar keeps marching on. Bit tougher against a strong baht, but the Pacific Peso is holding onto a position north of 30baht - fingers crossed that it stays there.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=THB&view=1Y

Archived