Hunt For Phuket Scaremonger

gobbledonk

People just stood watching instead of running like hell as the wave hit! I don't know if it happening in the daytime or at night would have made that much difference. :(

my point is that the Tsunami hit the areas when a lot of people would have been sleeping and the area much quieter then if it happened at midnight.

a lot of areas at that time would have been absolutely packed with people enjoying a celebration night out.

personally i'm not a real fan of the sea,i don't mind a paddle and a swim in VERY shallow water but i don't really like going in water which is deeper then my height.

if i am being daring and am out a bit further i do feel concerned if i feel i'm not sure if i feel safe.

in daylight i hope i think i would have noticed something but in the darkness and it's a total surprise then that is a major problem.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mistake ... Khao Lak not Phuket.

My link

Amazing pix, I think that they completely miss-understood the danger and power of the wave. Khao Lak was hit the worst in Thailand, over 4,000 people perished there, just in the general Khao Lak area.

I was there when the recent tsunami warning was released and it runs deep there. That evening, after the warning was lifted, almost everything was closed, including 7-11's and the usually busy main street was emptied out.

Saw some footage of an old lady trying to run from the Japan tsunami - she only had to cover about 50 metres and she would have made it to the hillside where the others were waiting. It wasnt a rushing wave like the Khao Lak photos - more a steadily rising tide - but it took her away. If thats the footage they are prepared to show, one can only wonder what horrors exist on various mobile phones and CCTV cameras.

Saw some footage of an old lady trying to run from the Japan tsunami - she only had to cover about 50 metres and she would have made it to the hillside where the others were waiting. It wasnt a rushing wave like the Khao Lak photos - more a steadily rising tide - but it took her away. If thats the footage they are prepared to show, one can only wonder what horrors exist on various mobile phones and CCTV cameras.

The Japanese Tsunami images/videos nearly never show and showed ed people caught by the Tsunami or floating people or dead people afterwards. From the beginning it felt strange only to see the wave and the destruction, but never the people. Often it seems that the media cut the secenes with people consumed by the wave or dead people.

IMHO the best images from the immediate aftermath are by the (war) photographer James Nachtwey:

http://lightbox.time...s-from-japan/#1

Archived