Hunt For Phuket Scaremonger

gobbledonk

This is the single funniest news item I've read in a very long time - stolen from another board:

Hunt for 'Phuket will sink' scaremonger

Published: 20/04/2012 at 06:20 PM Online news:

Phuket governor Tree Akharadecha has asked police to find those behind the spread of panic-causing leaflets that say the island province will sink into the sea on April 28Creating fear that could cause public panic and economic damage to Phuket was a criminal offence, and police would find the scaremongers and prosecute them, Mr Tree said on Friday.

The leaflets warned Phuket residents to leave the resort town before next Saturday because the island would be hit by such a severe natural disaster that it would sink into the sea.

Two versions of the leaflets were distributed widely across the island. One contained what was claimed to be a prophecy of Kuan Yin, the Chinese goddess of mercy and compassion. The other supposedly contained warnings from ThaoThep Kasattri and Thao Sisunthon, also known as Chan and Mook, the two legendary heroines who rallied the islanders to drive back an invading Burmese army in 1785.

Mr Tree pledged to resign from his post if the prophecy in the leaflets came true.

The governor said three more seismographs had been installed in Phuket's Thalang district, the epicentre of recent quakes. The devices would cover the entire district and detect any activity occurring in future, and alerts would be issued immediately, he added.

Khun Tree, I'm going to go out on a limb here (sorry ..) and suggest that the position of 'Governor of Phuket' may be somewhat redundant if the entire island is swallowed by the ocean. Short of charging dive operators and tourists for the rights to explore the 'wreck', I'm not exactly sure how Thailand would be able to continue paying your salary......

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i will be SERIOUSLY PISSED OFF if this happens.

i arrive a Month later and have paid for everything,will not be happy if no Phuket around for me to land on.

And no Governor to, er, govern Atlantis, er, Koh Phuket. Still, think of all that bargirl gold just waiting to be retrieved ...

Archived