Two Canadians Die On Phi Phi

Flashermac

The bodies of two Canadian sisters have been found in a hotel room on the popular southern tourist island of Phi Phi, police said on Saturday.

The names of the women and the cause of their deaths were not immediately available.

According to the French newspaper Le Figaro, it is believed the women were from Quebec.

The sisters, aged 26 and 20, were found dead on Friday afternoon by hotel staff on the Andaman sea island.

There were no signs of violence in the room, according to local police, and investigators are looking into the possibility the women may have been poisoned.

"Their bodies were found a little after midday [Friday]. They were sisters," Lieut Pongpan Waiyawat of the island's police force told AFP.

"We have to wait for the post-mortem to determine the cause of death but based on initial investigations there was no sign of violence in their room."

The local online news site Phuketwan.com reported that the bodies were found in a ground-floor room at the Phi Phi Palms Residence. It quoted a nurse at Krabi Hospital as saying the bodies had been taken to the hospital for examination by pathologists.

Police were also waiting for Canadian Embassy officials to arrive at the scene.

My link

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canadian sisters found dead in Phi Phi hotel room, poisoning suspected

PHUKET: Police are investigating the cause of death of two Canadian sisters found dead in their hotel room on Phi Phi Island yesterday afternoon.

Lt Siwa Saneha of Phi Phi Island Police Station told the Phuket Gazette, “We received a report at about 9pm yesterday that two tourists' bodies were found in the same hotel room at the Phi Phi Palms Residence.

“We rushed to the hotel with medical officers from Koh Phi Phi Hospital and a rescue team.â€

The sisters, one aged 20 and the other aged 26, checked in to the hotel on Tuesday.

“They went out and came back to their room that same night, but stayed in their room all day on Wednesday,†he said.

It was not until yesterday that hotel staff became concerned for the women’s welfare.

“A maid knocked on the door to clean the room on Thursday, but there was no response, so the maid thought the women needed more rest and left,†explained Lt Siwa.

The maid returned to clean the room yesterday, but again there was no response to her knocks on the door.

After repeated attempts failed to rouse the women, the maid obtained a master key to open the door.

Lt Col Rat Somboon of Krabi Provincial Police told the Gazette that officers at the scene believed that the women had died about 12 hours before their bodies were found.

Police suspect poisoning he said.

“There was a lot of vomit in the room, and both bodies showed similar signs [of trauma]. They had skin lesions and it seemed that they had bled from the gums. Also, their fingernails and toenails were blue,†Col Rat explained.

“We will have experts conduct tests on the vomit and urine samples taken from the scene to try to determine the cause of death,†he added.

The women’s bodies are now being kept at Krabi Hospital in Krabi Town.

The deaths of these two women follow an American and two Norwegian tourists dying of suspected poisoning after staying at 'The Laleena guesthouse’ on Phi Phi Island in 2009.

Extensive tests failed to provide any conclusive evidence as to what those three tourists died of.

My link

I'm thinking suicide - some kind of weird death pact - or accidental poisoning. Poison as a murder weapon has a tendency to implicate people at the hotel etc, and its kind of elaborate for a 'crime of passion'. I've known some seriously evil women, but killing two people simply because they made snide remarks about my dress sense - even I'm not that far gone. :blink:

Update from the Post:

<< Lieutenant Wisawa Senghar, who is based on Phi Phi, said the sisters had only planned to stay Tuesday night at the hotel, but extended their stay.

''It really is difficult to speculate what may have killed them,'' Lieutenant Wisawa told the Phuketwan website. ''We are waiting for Canadian Embassy officials to come to check out the room.''

Anangkana Choisrinal, a nurse at Krabi Hospital where the bodies are being kept, told Phuketwan both women had a mysterious rash.

''I have never seen a case like it. We have no idea as yet what killed the women.''

In May 2009, American Jill St Onge, 27, and Norwegian Julie Michelle Bergheim, 22, died in similar circumstances while staying in adjoining rooms at the Laleena guesthouse.

Despite pathology tests in Norway and the US, the women's cause of death has never been determined. >>

My link

???

<< Pufferfish can be lethal if not served properly. Puffer poisoning usually results from consumption of incorrectly prepared puffer soup, fugu chiri, or occasionally from raw puffer meat, sashimi fugu. While chiri is much more likely to cause death, sashimi fugu often causes intoxication, light-headedness, and numbness of the lips, and is often eaten for this reason. Puffer's (tetrodotoxin) deadens the tongue and lips, and induces dizziness and vomiting, followed by numbness and prickling over the body, rapid heart rate, decreased blood pressure, and muscle paralysis. The toxin paralyzes diaphragm muscles and stops the person who has ingested it from breathing. People who live longer than 24 hours typically survive, although possibly after a coma lasting several days. In Voodoo, puffer's poison must be part of the mixture given to the victim to make them a "zombie", most likely because the paralysis and pseudocomatose effect simulate the death portion of traditional zombie creation. >>

<< Pufferfish, called pakpao in Thailand, are usually consumed by mistake. They are often cheaper than other fish, and because they contain inconsistent levels of toxins between fish and season, there is little awareness or monitoring of the danger. Consumers are regularly hospitalized and some even die from the poisoning. >>

http://en.wikipedia..../Tetraodontidae

I vaguely remember a similar case or 2 on Phi Phi a couple years ago, some tourists found mysteriously dead in their bungalows, I believe at one of the places on Long Beach (I think at a place I stayed a couple times before the tsunami). Does anyone remember this?

p.s. oops now I see that further down you mention that case I'm talking about.

Archived